I ordered a Silver Spangled Hamburg bantam.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alexandra33, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

.....but I'm beginning to think it's not. [​IMG] Orange legs and a single comb are not at ALL characteristic of the breed. Only thing that's throwing me off is it otherwise looks like one, as in correct down color? [​IMG] We were thinking maybe it was a second Colombian Rock bantam (also in the order), but that doesn't seem to match up, either.

Supposed SSH bantam:
    [​IMG]
    Colombian Rock bantam
    [​IMG]
    Side-by-side comparison
    [​IMG]
    Comb shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I agree. down looks right but the comb is off and orange legs...

From where did you order it?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. Alexandra33

It came from Eagle Nest Poultry. [​IMG] Perhaps there are some flaws in their breeding stock that could cause single combs to pop up? [​IMG] (I don't know anything about genetics [​IMG])

~Alex

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Well rose combs are dominant so if somehow they just happened to have two that are carrying a single comb gene mate then that could happen. But.. how would the single comb gene get there to begin with?
    Did you contact them about it?

ETA I should rephrase that since there is no single comb gene. What I mean is, if their birds are heterozygous for the rose comb they would see a lot of single combs popping up and would need to cull those, not sell them.

5. Alexandra33

Ah.....okay, good to know. [​IMG]
    I haven't yet as things are pretty busy today, but will when the chance arises. If all else fails, I guess we'll wait and see as it grows/feathers out? [​IMG] [​IMG]

~Alex

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I hope at least the feather pattern and personality is right. I have a golden pencilled hamburg and she's one of my favorites.

7. Alexandra33

That would be very nice! It doesn't have to be perfect.....all I require is some spangling. [​IMG]
    Awwwwww, cute! Those are lovely! [​IMG] I have a LF SSH, (she looked just like this as a chick) and she's a good girl. [​IMG]

~Alex

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I've never such thing as a large fowl or bantam Hamburg. They are a medium breed, about 4# in the hens I believe.

I can't even find hamburgs on their website (it took forever to even find their website!) Do they change the available breeds a lot?

ETA I don't see Columbian Rock bantams either. Are you sure that's who you ordered from?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

10. Alexandra33

I didn't mean "large," necessarily, rather a standard-sized Hamburg as opposed to bantam. [​IMG]

Pretty sure they don't update their website all that often.....possibly a deterrent to potential customers, unfortunately. [​IMG] Yes, it seems they switch out at least one breed beginning of each year.
    Absolutely positive! [​IMG] We drove there to pick up our babies. [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by