I ordered geese...need help

CrazyDuckLady95

In the Brooder
May 5, 2023
I have read the following article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-goose-and-why-you-should-not-get-one.77508/

And I had read something similar before placing my order I didn't expect them to give their lives for my ducks or chickens I mainly wanted the alerts they tend to give off when something is near or something is not right...I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys but I'm not always outside to keep an eye and where I live the only real threat to my chickens and ducks r
red tail hawks..
Owls
Weasels

I coyote hunt every chance I get to keep the coyotes away and dogs can really get to where my flocks r during the day due to 7 acres of land fenced in by electric poultry netting its mainly the sky I am worried about and the occasional weasel

I oredered 2 gosling from meyer hatchery one is a female white chinese and the other is a male super african gosling...I ordered them bc a red tail hawk has come in and mass murdered alot of my chickens and ducks the last few months and I keep getting told geese r the way to go for flock protection..,I've never raised geese before so I need some pointers..and some general info on geese the ones I ordered r due to hatch Monday may 8th...so by the 11th I should have them if not sooner....

Will they really protect my chickens and ducks?

Will they automatically b9nd with one another bc they will be the only 2 geese on the farm?

When will they begin laying ?

R they good for going broody?

Will they try to eat my chickens or breed my ducks bc I don't want that lol?

How long do ghey need heat lamps?

I know they need niacin same as my ducklings did but how much more than r he ducks?

How fast will they grow?

How will I know if the 2 geese r bonded?

Do domestic geese fly?

And any more facts or advice u can share with me or personal experiences u have had with geese for flock protection ur willing to share with me please all is welcome.

ALSO I WILL NOT BE HOUSING AL OF THEM TOGETHER AT NIGHT..THEY WILL HAVE SEPARATE PENS I LET MY FLOCKS FREERANGE DURING THE DAY AND LOCK THEM UP SEPERATELY AT NIGHT AND I WILL DO THE SAME WITH MY 2 GEESE! MY CHICKENS HAVE A COVERED PEN AND MY DUCKS HAVE THEIR OWN COVERED PEN AN I ALREADY GOT MY GEESE A COVERED PEN MADE FOR WHEN THEY R TAKEN FROM THE HEATLAMPS

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 49
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Will they really protect my chickens and ducks?
Not really. Here's a great article on the topic: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-goose-and-why-you-should-not-get-one.77508/
I keep my geese and ducks together for the most part. I have had to separate them in the past if they are brooding so I'm prepared to always separate if necessary. The one time my geese did come to the defense was when they were raising a Gosling and a hawk swooped down to grab 1 of my ducks. The geese happened to be close by and the whole bunch of them raise their wings and charged the hawk. But again, I think that was a particular situation because they were raising a baby and they just happened to be close by. I don't think they would have cared one bit if they were far away because their Gosling would have been safe.
Will they automatically b9nd with one another bc they will be the only 2 geese on the farm?
Yes. Geese, like most birds, much prefer the company of their own kind.
When will they begin laying ?
Around 7 months of age, typically
R they good for going broody?
They often are, and usually make great mothers.
Will they try to eat my chickens or breed my ducks bc I don't want that lol?
These are certainly known for showing aggression towards other birds, but it's usually during late Winter and Spring when the breeding hormones are high. Or any broody goose who is protecting her nest.
I did have a gander that tried to breed one of my larger ducks. I ended up getting rid of those ducks and he switches affections over to his goose girlfriend.
How will I know if the 2 geese r bonded?
It should be fairly obvious as they will constantly hang out together.
Do domestic geese fly?
Usually a little bit but most breeds available are too heavy to do much flying. I've heard the Chinese can fly a little bit better than most because they're not as heavyweight. I can't imagine your African will be able to fly much at all. Certainly they can hop in the air and get a foot or 2 of clearance for exercise but it's not like they're flying over fences or from tree to tree.

Not really. Here's a great article on the topic: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-goose-and-why-you-should-not-get-one.77508/
I keep my geese and ducks together for the most part. I have had to separate them in the past if they are brooding so I'm prepared to always separate if necessary. The one time my geese did come to the defense was when they were raising a Gosling and a hawk swooped down to grab 1 of my ducks. The geese happened to be close by and the whole bunch of them raise their wings and charged the hawk. But again, I think that was a particular situation because they were raising a baby and they just happened to be close by. I don't think they would have cared one bit if they were far away because their Gosling would have been safe.

Yes. Geese, like most birds, much prefer the company of their own kind.

Around 7 months of age, typically

They often are, and usually make great mothers.

These are certainly known for showing aggression towards other birds, but it's usually during late Winter and Spring when the breeding hormones are high. Or any broody goose who is protecting her nest.
I did have a gander that tried to breed one of my larger ducks. I ended up getting rid of those ducks and he switches affections over to his goose girlfriend.

It should be fairly obvious as they will constantly hang out together.

Usually a little bit but most breeds available are too heavy to do much flying. I've heard the Chinese can fly a little bit better than most because they're not as heavyweight. I can't imagine your African will be able to fly much at all. Certainly they can hop in the air and get a foot or 2 of clearance for exercise but it's not like they're flying over fences or from tree to tree.
Thank u so much for the quick responses...Will my african be too bug for the chinese tho jw

I raise geese, and I've found them to do a great job at deterring aerial predators when they run with lightweight ducks, but they are not livestock guardian animals. @Isadora has already sent you the link to Pyxis's thread about the mythology around "guardian" geese, please do read it.

In addition, I think you'll find the geese-focused articles in the BYC Learning Center helpful in answering your questions.

Best wishes for your geese-raising journey!

I raise geese, and I've found them to do a great job at deterring aerial predators when they run with lightweight ducks, but they are not livestock guardian animals. @Isadora has already sent you the link to Pyxis's thread about the mythology around "guardian" geese, please do read it.

In addition, I think you'll find the geese-focused articles in the BYC Learning Center helpful in answering your questions.

Best wishes for your geese-raising journey!
Thank u so much and yes my ducks r very light weight they r Indian runners my drake is maybe 5 pounds and the females might be 4pounds

1. Will they really protect my chickens and ducks?
- Not so much. They MAY attack or be loud, but it won't always stop themfrom coming. The best thing to do is to secure the chickens area, keep an eye on them, and/or getting a LGD.

2. Will they automatically b9nd with one another bc they will be the only 2 geese on the farm?
- Geese are social, and since they're goslings, they will be together almost to all of the time.

3. When will they begin laying ?
- Expect eggs a year after you receive them.

4. R they good for going broody?
- It depends. Normally, geese are good at being protective, but there's many problems that can arise from this, every goose is different.

5. Will they try to eat my chickens or breed my ducks bc I don't want that lol?
It is very possible that they will attack the others, it's very common around breeding season. They will try to mate with the others, which is a huge problem, esecially for the chickens.
6. How long do they need heat lamps?
- READ ME!

7. I know they need niacin same as my ducklings did but how much more than r he ducks?
- READ ME!

8. How fast will they grow?
- Geese grow very large, and very quick. A week old gosling is usually 2x the size of a week old duck. You will need a large, secure, and proper brooder for them to grow until they can go outside.

9. How will I know if the 2 geese r bonded?
- It'll be very obvious. They will always be with each other, talk to one another, breed together, everything.

10. Do domestic geese fly?
- No, they're too heavy for their wings to hold them.

11. And any more facts or advice u can share with me or personal experiences u have had with geese for flock protection ur willing to share with me please all is welcome.
- READ ME!
- READ ME!
- READ ME!
- READ ME!
- READ ME!

1. Will they really protect my chickens and ducks?
- Not so much. They MAY attack or be loud, but it won't always stop themfrom coming. The best thing to do is to secure the chickens area, keep an eye on them, and/or getting a LGD.

2. Will they automatically b9nd with one another bc they will be the only 2 geese on the farm?
- Geese are social, and since they're goslings, they will be together almost to all of the time.

3. When will they begin laying ?
- Expect eggs a year after you receive them.

4. R they good for going broody?
- It depends. Normally, geese are good at being protective, but there's many problems that can arise from this, every goose is different.

5. Will they try to eat my chickens or breed my ducks bc I don't want that lol?
It is very possible that they will attack the others, it's very common around breeding season. They will try to mate with the others, which is a huge problem, esecially for the chickens.
6. How long do they need heat lamps?
- READ ME!

7. I know they need niacin same as my ducklings did but how much more than r he ducks?
- READ ME!

8. How fast will they grow?
- Geese grow very large, and very quick. A week old gosling is usually 2x the size of a week old duck. You will need a large, secure, and proper brooder for them to grow until they can go outside.

9. How will I know if the 2 geese r bonded?
- It'll be very obvious. They will always be with each other, talk to one another, breed together, everything.

10. Do domestic geese fly?
- No, they're too heavy for their wings to hold them.

11. And any more facts or advice u can share with me or personal experiences u have had with geese for flock protection ur willing to share with me please all is welcome.
- READ ME!
- READ ME!
- READ ME!
- READ ME!
- READ ME!
I'm reading ur links now thank u for providing them

Back
Top Bottom