I ordered more chicks I am sooo Excited

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by white01, May 13, 2010.

1. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    I placed an order with Ideal, for 15 barred Plymouth rocks, just called and added 6 silkies, and after reading all the information I ordered them all to be vaccinated. I am so excited they will all be here Wednesday (May19) I cant wait i feel like it is Xmas. Sunday we are getting 5 hens(already laying br) Saturday we are building our coop and run. Did I mention I am so excited hehe. This is my first time raising chickens so I have been a mad women researching all there is to know about them. I will post pics and information on how they are all doing Wednesday. Thanx for listening to me hehe
    Ann(expecting new mommy to chickens)

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Congrats!!! There's nothing more exciting than getting your first chicks....except maybe getting your first egg lol!!! Just a suggestion, keep your 5 BR hens seperated from your new chicks...to prevent cross contamination of possible diseases,germs etc...BTW- Barred Rocks are my favorite chickens, mine are from Meyer Hatchery and they are very friendly and will jump up in my lap when I'm sitting in a lawn chair out in the yard...good luck!

3. white01

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    Oh I plan to keep them seperated, of course the chickens will be inside for 8-10 weeks, and then I have read about the adding of new chicks and will have them penned off from the rest.
    Yes it is very exciting and omg my dh would probably not want me to start hatching(although i have thought about later on hehe)I can say after doing all my research I am now addicted to CHICKENS hehe.
    We are only having the chickens for laying and pets, as I am a huge animal lover I said absolutely no killing for meat....they are going to be my babies.

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Cool!!!![​IMG] They let you order only 6 silkies along with the other breeds? I wanted to order 5 silkies with the other 10 I'm getting and Cackle said I had to order 15 total silkies! Lucky u!! I guess it's cause its from a different hatchery.

5. white01

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    yes it was cool I didnt think I would be able to and they said sure can, I will defiantly will be doing my business with Ideal, they have been very helpful and friendly to me as I am just starting out....I was thinking that I probably would not be able to get them because everywhere I loked you had to order 15 or more and I just cant do that many yet. since 15 babies already coming, I thought maybe 6 would not be so bad....
    I am soooooo excited and Wednesday can not come soon enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by