I Ordered Some Wood Ducks,i Ordered Some Wood Duuuuucks!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redhotchick, Nov 18, 2011.

1. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Ok,I am dancin around the living room!!!! I just ordered a pair of Wood Ducks!!! Couldnt keep it in & had to tell yall!!! Any advise? I am gonna build them a pen this weekend & a nesting box.I plan on a kiddie pool,& a couple of trees for them to fly up in.I also plan on a huge flight cage for them soon.I just love the way they look & had to have a pair.My mom has ducks & I take care of them for her sometimes.Any other Wood Duck folks near Fort Worth TEXAS?

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    We will need pictures as soon as you get them. Congrats! [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm so jealous!! I would love to have wood ducks. They are truly stunning little birds. Enjoy them.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Congratulations they are beautiful, and of course we'll need to see pics of your new ones. [​IMG]

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    AAAAHHHH!!! Congrats!!!

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Where did you order them from?

I have a pair of 18 month old Woodies. I absolutely love mine!!

Good luck!

Laurie

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:Post pictures when you get them. Be sure your enclosure has small enough wire so they don't get caught or injured or escape. Chain link is too large and chicken wire can injure them if they fly into it wrong. Check your local and state laws too. Many places require you to ave a permit to keep them. Your DNR or Fish and Game would be who to ask.

8. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I could'nt wait to tell yall! I'll post pics ASAP!! Im good on keeping them.I did not know about the type of wire.I will use a smaller hole welded wire for the walls.I plan on poultry netting on the roof. I was gonna make a nesting box,but now am gonna look for a log to hollow out. "My old man's a TV repair man,I CAN FIX IT!!" I want thier avairy to look as natural as possible. I had planned on a few trees for roosting & some type of plants on the ground.

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We seed with winter rye this time of year and have ferns,Mexican petunia, ornamental grass, palm trees and Hawaiian lea trees it the flight pens. We also have large oak stumps and branches set in the ground with Spanish moss hanging from them. There is also hollow half logs on the ground. We use cement mixing pans for them. Easy to dump and refill.

10. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Well My Wood Ducks came last week & they are fine.I just finished my avairy & am going to release them inside soon.Here is my next question.What other birds can I keep in with them? I do not want to keep a lot,but was thinking about some jungle Fowl,pheasants, or?????? If its not a good idea,thats cool.My avairy is 16x16x8 for 1 pair of wood ducks. You see why I want something else in there.I'll get pics up tomorrow,I promise. Been cold & raining here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by