I owe many people here a big thank you!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Elke Beck, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    [​IMG]
    When my broody hatched a clutch of nine in August there were 5 cockerels, of course. I cannot have roosters, and I did not think I would be able to butcher them myself, but I read the wealth of information on this forum, and last Sunday I did three. I cooked two tonight, and they were the best tasting chickens I think I have ever eaten. Thank you to everyone who is so generous in sharing your knowledge and experience![​IMG]

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    They look delicious! Great job processing them and putting dinner on the table. What breed?

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Congratulations! It is a proud moment isn't it, when you look at ( and get to taste) your accomplishments.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Looks yummy!!!! [​IMG] Glad BYC was there to help you out - congratulations on your meal!!!

5. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    Good job Now wasn't it a great experience ?
    Next you will be doing 30 Meat birds in the spring [​IMG]

6. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Awesome job. It's funny how home grown chicken tastes like chicken! You'll be spoiled now. Store bought will never make your taste buds happy again

7. Elke Beck

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    One was a Rhode Island Red, and the other was a Red Sex Link. Both were delicious, and now I have 8 quarts of stock from the bones, skin and feet. Chicken noodle soup here I come!

One thing I can recommend for any first timer is to watch a lot of videos on YouTube and look at a lot of the step by step pictures. Not only does it help with knowing how to do it, but it desensitizes you to what happens and what you have to do.

It was not fun, but it definitely was worthwhile. And, no I will not be getting 30 meaties this spring, but I am getting 10. [​IMG] Raising your own meat is empowering!

1 person likes this.
  8. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Welcome to the self-sustaining "dark" side of life! You'll be saying good-bye to your butcher really soon.

Ever eaten a fresh-out of the garden snap pea (still warm from the sunshine)? Or a mouth-watering, drool inducing cucumber from your garden?

Well, raising your own meat isn't much different - just a whole lot more work it seems! But oh, so worth it. Just wait until you eat the soup from the stock - you'll never touch a can of chicken yuck ever again! (And try making your own 'cream of' soup from the broth too....it's SO delicious and without the salt and preservatives and junk they add to it to convince you it tastes better! Your casseroles, and health, will thank you!)

9. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    My garden is now a chicken run... Should make that soil pretty fertile ;)

10. Elke Beck

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    [​IMG]
    Ringing in the New Year with chicken noodle soup courtesy of home grown chickens. It was yummy, and that is why the pot is almost empty. No soup for lunch tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by