I painted my chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flyboy718, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Yes, you read that correctly...long story short, I finally got around to painting my chicken coop and decided to use one of those Wagner power sprayers instead of a paint brush. Boy was that a bad idea. I made the chickens go inside the coop while I painted the front of the coop with the pop door that goes to their run. After I painted, I got quite abit of paint on the dirt next to the coop and the leaves that I had put in for them to play in today. I raked up all the leaves I could with paint on them and removed them but still a few were left...just couldn't get all of them. I also kicked around the dirt a little to incorporate the paint. After awhile, I turned them loose back out into the run and yeap, they found some paint drips on some leaves and ate some and pecked at some paint drips on the outside wall. So, they all probably had a little paint to eat. That has been about 2 hours ago and they are all happily roosting in the coop now. Which leads me to my most startling discovery, hence the title...as I was checking on them in the coop on the roost...I noticed they had a very fine mist of white paint on their feathers...not much, but noticable up close! My gosh, I am probably the only person in the world that has painted their chickens and fed them paint!! I feel like an idiot...I am more concerned about them eating a little paint than the light dusting they have on their feathers. I guess only time will tell, what about the eggs...will they have some paint chemicals in them?
    They were dusted because I have an opening were the outside wall meets the rafters for the roof and when I was blowing paint on the wall and got to that area, some must have shot inside the coop.

2. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    You are not the first idiot to do this!! [​IMG] Last spring I had a can of red paint sitting on a tarp outside. The dogs ran into it and knocked the lid off. Well you know chickens, they run after anything that resembles food lol. I tried to keep them out of it but some still got into it. Mine were fine, but they looked funny for a little while.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't think I'd worry much about it. At one point I had a Rhode Island Green. Paint might be there till a molt though.

Imp- Pics please

4. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Lol! I will try and get some pics. What about them eating a little paint?

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by