I panicked... day 21!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tgrlily, Apr 4, 2009.

1. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    It's day 21 of my first hatch. I've been struggling with the humidity & temp fluctuations in an LG still air. The temp was only 95 when I got home from work & the humidity was down to 35. I flipped out!! I soaked a washcloth & filled a measuring cup with very hot water, opened the bator, took the eggs out of the carton I was gonna hatch in added the water, washcloth & another hygrometer/thermometer & shut it as fast as I could. About 10 minutes later I saw an egg roll & that I have 2 pips!

I'm still nervous... afraid that I did the wrong thing, but didn't know what else to do at that point. I hear peeping & see moving through the pip on one.... can't really see into the other. I now have temperature of 100.5 but 1 says humidity is 50 & the other says 76! [​IMG]

Looked again... now there are 4 pips! Geeeeez... I'm a wreck! [​IMG]:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    YEAH!!!! You did exactly the right thing!!! C'mon chickies!!! [​IMG]

3. tgrlily

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Thanks! I'm looking in there every few minutes & keep checking the humidity. I'm up to 5 pips [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, you did the right thing. Congrats on the pips! [​IMG]

5. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    I had to open my incubator the other day when I had several pips because the temperature spiked, then after I turned it down a little it dropped almost to 80 degrees!! I kept opening and turning it up a little at a time, I was so afraid to get it too high. So I added a wet washcloth and put more water in the cups and spent the next few hours worrying that i had dried out my poor chicks--- but they all hatched [​IMG]

6. tgrlily

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Thanks to everyone that said I did the right thing. I went by gut instinct. That's so reassuring, princessmama. I hope our hatch is as successful as yours!

I don't understand the temp & humidity fluctuations. It's very windy today & there's a draft so I just put a dishtowel loosely over the side nearest the door. Hopefully that will help. I'm steaming up the window -- from the OUTside!!! There is a little condensation on the inside too.

7. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    Okay Question Here, we are on day 21,still nothing. We have put both plugs back over the holes. Should we get our windows of the bator steamy as well? We do not know how to measure the hum. We are waiting,waiting and waiting still waiting.[​IMG]

8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i'm a wreck as well! i had a spike of 103 a few days ago but i still have about 7 pips and one egg won't stop wriggling.... it's day 17 for them, they should have hatched (they're coturnix quail) the pips have been there all day today, too and it's been over 6 hours & no zipping. IM WORRIED!
    [​IMG]

9. tgrlily

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I have 4 chicks!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] One is dark & three blonde [​IMG]

There are 2 zipped that are still trying to get out & 1 that zipped part way but doesn't look like it made it through the night [​IMG] I wish I could help. Should I take it out? There's been no movement for hours. One that's zipped was the first pip, so I'm concerned since the one I think is dead was the second pip.

On the brighter side, there are a bunch more pips too. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone's peeps!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Ahhh! That's great t! We are on day 19 and I just don't know how ya'll can stand it. I keep waiting for signs of life but nothing yet. The waiting is driving me nuts! Of course it probably doesn't help that the 'bator is right next to my bed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by