I peeked at the eggs under my broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tallyho, Sep 16, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Day 8, I did a quick candling last night and saw various things:

1) moving embryo with blood vessels - good
    2) egg that looks like the yolk is floating around in it - not good?
    3) a dark mass on one side of the egg (in an egg with a darker shell). I wasn't sure about movement - ?
    4) a completely clear egg but very porous shell.

The eggs are barnyard specials, a variety of colors and sizes.

Will she kick out any bad eggs? Which eggs should I take out? I've been looking up candling pix but I'm second guessing myself.

Thank you.

2. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    2 and 4 sound like they aren't any good, I usually mark any that I'm not quite sure on and then check in about 5 days and then I know for sure if they're good or bad. Better to be cautious and second guess yourself than throw out a good egg. I've never had eggs under a broody hen but it sounds like some kick out the bad eggs and some don't. I would definitely give the dark egg some more time, they can be tough to tell what's going on inside of them.
    Good luck!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would kick out the clear one and, it's infertile, and the one with a floating blob, probably a dead 'starter'. Momma broody may do this, but she may not, and eggs can explode due to sulphur gas build up.

Any with moving embryo, obvious veins etc. are good. Very dark brown eggs are VERY difficult to assess.

Candle them again in a couple of days.

Good Luck for the hatch,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by