I picked out the wrong coop and now I have no plan :-(

AngeliqueR

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2016
San Dimas
I picked out a chicken run tractor with 3 nesting boxes that I thought would work as a coop/run for my 5 birds. I am in a very warm climate so I wasn't worried about the weather-proofing, and I was going to harden it against predators with a bottom border of hardware cloth.

Two problems:

1) my local feed store upped the price by almost $150, putting it out of my budget. :-( The link above shows it near it's original price, it's now $488.

2) when trying to find an alternative source online I discovered it's not even designed to be a 24/7 coop, but rather a place they can hang out during the day. There are no proper roosts. I don't entirely understand the implication of this because apparently I'm chick-tarded, but I gather it's a problem if they're roosting in their nesting boxes.

So it seems to me like I definitely picked out the wrong solution.

What I liked about this chicken tractor is it could be moved around my yard to simulate free ranging while protecting the birds from predators. I have a large GSD and he's on my predator list; I hope he learns to protect the chickens and he'll definitely protect against any approaching predators I'm just not sure I trust him not to play chicken-fetch. I also have a garden area in my front yard that I want to be able to move the chickens to on a temporary basis.

I don't know what to do now. If anyone has an idea on an easy-to-assemble coop with run with some portability under $400 I would really appreciate it. My birds are 3.5 weeks old, and at about ~10 weeks I will have the time/human resources to DIY a coop so if anyone has an idea on an extended brooder that might work too.

Try myurbanfarmers.com. I have the Lodge ($340) as my broody pen and it is light enough to drag around occasionally. I mean it isn't light but I can just drag it by myself. Wouldn't want to move it front to back yard every day but with two people it would probably be pretty easy to move it a few hundred feet. I think you could add hardware cloth to the bottom easily enough. It seems sturdier than the one I looked at at Rural King and Central Tractor.

Try myurbanfarmers.com. I have the Lodge ($340) as my broody pen and it is light enough to drag around occasionally. I mean it isn't light but I can just drag it by myself. Wouldn't want to move it front to back yard every day but with two people it would probably be pretty easy to move it a few hundred feet. I think you could add hardware cloth to the bottom easily enough. It seems sturdier than the one I looked at at Rural King and Central Tractor.
Thanks! I checked out their website but it says they're not shipping until June. My brooder box has 2 square feet per chick, I would need another interim solution.

Are they actually doing design/build or are they importing? This coop just happens to look exactly the same as this one from Amazon that is $260 and is stained green and white: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZURG0K?psc=1

Angelique - Is there any reason you haven't considered building your own? You could build a very decent coop and run for 5 birds for under $400. The feed store I shop at has coops that they build for under $300 and you could easily add a small run for about $100 or less. Just something to think about. I found all commercial coops/runs/tractors way too expensive for what you get and most would be too small for 5 birds. I'm in a hot climate too not too far from you and the main weather-proofing I worried about was shade and wind protection so I'd assume that's you'r main concern too.

Angelique - Is there any reason you haven't considered building your own? You could build a very decent coop and run for 5 birds for under $400. The feed store I shop at has coops that they build for under $300 and you could easily add a small run for about $100 or less. Just something to think about. I found all commercial coops/runs/tractors way too expensive for what you get and most would be too small for 5 birds. I'm in a hot climate too not too far from you and the main weather-proofing I worried about was shade and wind protection so I'd assume that's you'r main concern too.

I agree with you in spirit but there is actually a very good reason I cannot build my own coop: I am 8 months pregnant and my husband is not available for a project like this until June.
wink.png
I really did think I had a plan...anyways I'd have to come up with a solution that will work until my girls are 10 - 12 weeks if I want to build a coop.

I have a very shady section of my yard under a tree against a fence that is about 8' x 6' It is 100% shade. I wonder if I could start with a basic run and put a straw-lined crate in there with a makeshift roof for them to get cozy under? I've read young birds often don't get the whole nesting vs roosting thing anyways, and when the coop is built (or assembled) they would have plenty of time to adjust before they begin laying.

nesting and roosting can be tricky sometimes especially when space is limited, best bet is to just go with one or the other, i am going with nesting box and adding a few roosting boards in the main run since my space too is limited, best of luck

You're just out of LA, right? I think your birds would be fine in a run like that one or a dog kennel sort with some freestanding roosts for later (nail some 2x4s together or find a branch) and a little covered section (tarp/folding table you don't mind getting dirty/etc) for shade and rain protection.
smile.png
In SF, we had a couple hens for 4H on the down-low, and they lived free-range outside all the time in our tiny yard. I think they hid under our flower pot table when it rained and roosted on top of it at night.

When my first batch was little, I used a plastic deck storage box with a hinged top because that's what I had available at the time. I cut a hole cut in one side and it worked just fine. That's still one of my broody houses for moms with baby chicks. I had an old trampoline my kids had outgrown and I ran a piece of 3 ft or 4 ft high hardware mesh around around the perimeter and it provided shade and security. It wasn't lightweight but it was possible to shove around the yard until I got a real coop and run. I bet there a fair amount of things you can improvise including old dog houses, rubbermaid storage containers, etc. We found it took longer to put up a good fence than to find a coop. Your craigslist coop looks like it might work - maybe you can get them to deliver.Or it sounds like they make them- maybe they will build you exactly what you want. Good luck.

I would not recommend placing any orders with My Urban Farmers LLC (myurbanfarmers.com)!! I ordered a coop on 5/23 with an estimated ship date the 3rd week in June. The 3rd week in June came and went with continual (and multiple) promises of "it will ship next week". After multiple follow-ups and excuse after excuse, "next week" never came and we were now almost in the 2nd week in July. I cancelled my order and was refunded my money in full minus 10% for their troubles. They were responsive to my cancellation however other online reviews tell different stories. Also, several photos on the myurbanfarmers.com website are the exact same photos of chicken coops sold by a manufacturer in China. Buyer beware!! I wish I would have investigated further prior to purchasing. Please also check out the Better Business Bureau customer complaints for Farm to Bay Hay Company in Lake Stevens, WA. Both firms have the same owner and appear to have similar issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom