1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I picked up a light bhrama pullet yesterday and (more)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Becky_H, May 18, 2009.

1. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

she is the sweetest bird I have ever encountered. She was sleeping in my lap and taking treats from my fingers by the time we got her home. She comes out of her quarantine cage on my wrist like a parrot, and really wants nothing more than to cuddle in against my neck. She's also *big* but that's neither here nor there.

I honestly believe if people were honest about what they wanted -- cuddling, affection, pretty markings and relative quiet -- out of pet birds a lot of people would have more money, because they'd buy chickens instead of parrots.

I have both. Let me tell you, Hedwig (the bhrama) and Oscar (a buff orpington) aren't as smart, but they've got this cuddling and loving thing down PAT.

2. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm with you, Becky!! I had a parrot (dusky pionus) for years (got him as a hand-fed baby). He was nice, and like to hang out, but that was pretty much all he was up for. Had I only known about chickens sooner! [​IMG]
    Congratulations on your new cuddler! [​IMG]

3. Becky_H

I have a blue front amazon and I love him like I love very little in life, but he is NOT snuggly. The chickens are. What's more, they're lessl ikely to break my fingers.

Thanks! She's a dream.

4. Spunky~Chick~Mom

Spunky~Chick~Mom Chicken Crazed!

May 7, 2009
    Mississippi Delta
    [​IMG] Thanks for sharing!!! I am very excited. I have a few coming in on a hatchery order at the end of June~!!!! I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of them! [​IMG]

5. Becky_H

I figured I may as well add a picture to the thread, as I'm sitting here trying to get rid of the worst darn headache in the history of headaches.

[​IMG]

6. crimsnchic

crimsnchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Too cute!! My neighbors inquired why on earth would I want chickens, and my reply is I love birds, have always enjoyed watching them, but parrots freak me out with the damage they can do with their beaks!! So instead I have chickens, who also will give me eggs [​IMG]

7. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    For the Headache!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by