I picked up my chicks today... several pics...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bullwinkle, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    McMurray shipped out my order of 84 chicks yesterday. I talked with my local postman and because of the holiday the little PO close to us is closed today. He said that if they came in, they would be held at the local PO distribution center (that sends them out to the local PO's). To make a long story short, I drove 50 miles (both ways) to pick up my little ones so they wouldn't have to sit in their box for an extra 24 hours with the PO closed. All of the chicks seem to be healthy and happy. They seem to be eating good too. I'm going to work on a bigger brooder immediately.

I saw two smaller boxes also from McMurrays along with mine. I felt sorry for the other two boxes of chicks having to stay there for another day...

Here is what I ordered (and what I got):

Light Brahma - 2 (Ordered x1 - they sent a second free) - Males
    White Giants - 1 - Male
    Buff Orphingtons - 2 (Ordered x1 - they sent a second free) - Males
    Buff Orphingtons - 2 Females
    Black Giants - 2 (males)
    W/black Polish - 1 (female... cute as a button!)
    Auraucana - 5 (females)
    Ancona - 3 (females)
    Rose Comb Brown Leghorns - 0 (there is a note saying there was not a good hatch of them.
    slvr Spangled Hamburgs - 2 (females)
    Black Star - 26 (Ordered 25 - they sent 1 free)(females)
    Red Star -10 (female)
    Barred Rock -1 (female)
    RIR -26 (female - ordered 25, they sent 1 free)
    Black australorp - 2 (female)
    'free rare chick' I have no idea which one it is....

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    OMG, they are lovely,

you are going to be very very busy for some time to come,

Congrats,

Jena.

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    [​IMG] Awww... Too cute!! That's alot of chicks!! [​IMG]
    I have an order from Ideal Poultry coming Friday. Only about 10 chicks. But good luck with them! They are pretty!!

4. Bullwinkle

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Hi Chickie Mamma

I have an order for 6 chinese geese and 7 Pekin ducks coming from Ideal on Friday also (I assume friday: they are being sent out on Wednesday). I'm taking a days vacation on Friday to make sure I can be with them in case they needs some special attention throughout the day.

Now i must get back to making a bigger brooder...

5. Bullwinkle

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    On a side note... I had spent hours and hours reading posts here at BYC... including folks that had received sick chicks. I did all the 'tricks' like adding sugar to the water, dipping each ones beak in the water, etc. Still for the first hour they were in the brooder, every time I saw one laying down or with its eyes closed I started to worry... I'd pick it up and show it the water again, check temps, etc. [​IMG] The poor things were just trying to take a nap! [​IMG] I had to leave the room and watch tv so I wouldn't keep waking the poor things up![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

they are very sweet. you certainly have your work cut out for you, don't you? They're a lot of fun though, enjoy!! [​IMG]

7. thowe

thowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    NH
    WOW!!! that is alot of baby chicks [​IMG] They are really cute.

I have an order coming from Mcmurray in May. Good luck [​IMG]

8. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Congrats on your new chickies! Are these your first ones?

9. Bullwinkle

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:These are my first ones since I was a teenager (about 25 years or so ago).

I started out planning on getting just 25.... but I spent too much time on BYC! Seeing the different varieties, between Jan 5th and last week I kept calling and adding more. I'm glad I didn't wait to have them shipped till april.... I might have ended up with serveral hundred![​IMG]

10. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Wow thats a lot of cuties. I have no clue how you could tell which breeds which lol. I thought they planned hatches so they wouldn't be shipped on weekends.
    They are all adorable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by