I picked up my first Marans today!!!!!!

SGM

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Easley, SC
Can you believe it? I've watched many egg auctions but haven't taken the plunge yet. Today we saw some roosters listed. Called and they had a few roosters for sale for $10 each. Well we figured we'd ask if he had any hens, pullets, eggs or chicks. Anything. Well he said he just had roosters. So we figured we'd pick one up and put him on our RIR/layers and just hatch off some darker ones to add back to our layer flock. (I like the assorted colors for my cartons.
tongue.png
)

Anyway, we got out there and he had 6 birds, 3 pullets and 3 roosters. 3.5 months old. So as we're talking my hubby asks if he'd be willing to part with a pullet. He said the only way he'd sell a pullet is if someone bought the whole group of 6.

So you can guess where this goes. Yes we bought all 6.
tongue.png
So now I have 3 pullets and 3 rooster Cuckoo Marans. I can't believe how lucky we are!!! I can't wait to see their eggs. He said they were very very dark eggs and really big at that. So I can't wait to see. I am beside myself! Here's pictures of our newbies...

Cuckoo_Marans_11-2-084.jpg

Cuckoo_Marans_11-2-086.jpg

Cuckoo_Marans_11-2-087.jpg

Cuckoo_Marans_11-2-083.jpg

Cuckoo_Marans_11-2-082.jpg

Its going to be one LONG wait to see their first eggs!!!

Beautiful I love my marans espeacially my new blue and black copper marans

Edited to say I agree about the yellow legs and that they are rocks not marans you need to get yourself some real marans now !

Henry

Last edited:
Congrats on your pretty birds. I hate to tell you this, though, I am thinking they might be Barred Rocks. Their legs look yellow. Are they? If their legs are indeed yellow, then they would not be Cuckoo Marans. I hope I am wrong in the leg color. Pictures make it hard to tell.

That would explain why they were so cheap. I don't really think he knew for sure really. Whatever the case I can assure you I won't be buying poultry locally again.

Awww. Listen. This is all about learning. If they are healthy and happy, that is important. I think Barred Rocks are beautiful.

I have lots of chickens, and my production Red Stars lay eggs almost as dark as the Welsummers and Cuckoos in my incubator right now.
hugs.gif

Enjoy them! They are sweet.

Back
Top Bottom