I posted about my nesting hen and I believe she's broody so a ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bellasmom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Now I have a really newbie question and I've done a search but can't find an answer!

Can I move her and shut the door of the house? Since it's only been 1 full day of her setting on the nest would that traumatize her?

My other question is, how do I move this large beaked pecking hen? I was tempted to throw a towel over her like I used to my rabbits but that seems kind of harsh. They are just now coming to me when I feed them certain treats and I don't want to cause her any more distress. They were totally free range for the 9 or 10 months before they came here.

Thanks!

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    When they're broody, they are sort of in a trance, even more so at night. Night time is the best time to move chickens. If you throw a towel over her at night it really shouldn't be stressful.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

...or wear heavy gloves, sunglasses and a winter hat

She won't know it's you. [​IMG]

I have one of those and we don't even have a rooster...aurgh

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I did the leather gloves and long sleeve shirt! Moved her off pretty easily but boy did I get a cussin' and she still growls at me. She's back on again though so I'm going to check and see if the other one has laid! Of course they lay in the same nesting box!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by