I posted in another area and someone told me to post this here.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mskitkat666, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mskitkat666

mskitkat666 New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Millersville, TN
    I have 5 hens and 2 roosters.

The girls are as follows:

2 bantam cochin mixes ( Chickadee & Crackerjack ) that lay small white/pinkish eggs

2 red comets

( Red ) one that hasn't laid a viable egg since July 2014 and no egg since Sept 2014 < she is past her laying stage and her eggs literally were the size of a coke can >

( Purple ) other is laying medium size brown eggs

1 easter egger ( Gertrude ) that lays blue eggs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now the odd thing is on occasion I get a deep mauve/purple-ish brown egg that is same size as Gertrudes blue eggs.

I will have eggs from Gertrude, Purple, Chickadee and Crackerjack and sometimes the odd egg too.

The only thing I can guess is that they are Gertrudes and they seem to show up anytime there is a disruption in her routine like not getting to free range daily and as of today being housed in my house ( overnight last night and again tonight ) due to the coop not being able to withstand -5 degree weather.

Anybody have any ideas as to where these eggs could be coming from?
    '); }

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Firstly, [​IMG]

I'm with you, I'm guessing Gertrude is laying the purple-ish eggs too. My hens have a usual colour that they will each lay, but occasionally (for no explained reason) there will be a variation.

For example, my RIR ("Red Bird") will normally lay a dark tan egg, but from time to time she will lay a creamy one just to try and confuse me! It's definitely her though - I've seen her lay it!

So yes, my best guess is that Gertrude is throwing out a 'different' egg from time to time.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by