I present to you Eggcentric Eggstravagance (new photos)

greginshasta

Songster
13 Years
Jul 26, 2007
Mount Shasta, CA
More photos at my gallery http://www.gbdg.net/g2/main.php?g2_itemId=174&g2_page=13

Well, exactly 2 months ago today, I posted the first progress photos of our new coop here .

Last night the girls moved (with some very persuasive assistance from my wife and I) into the new coop. When I went out there this morning to visit, they were still sitting on their ladder perch, peering out the window. Before long, one by one, they decided to flap down to the coop floor and investigate.

As the morning progressed, we removed the tractor (temporary coop) from the run, installed the ramp in the tunnel, and opened the pop hole. A bit of scratch was a sufficient bribe to get them all heading down the ramp.

This evening, being accustomed to their outdoor sleeping quarters, we grabbed them again after dark - but this time shoved them all up the ramp and closed the pop hole behind them. Grabbing each from inside the coop, we placed them on their ladder and said goodnight. Should be interesting to see if after a few nights they get the idea to go inside without prompting. (How cold is simply too cold? If they want to sleep outside, until it gets to being really intense weather conditions, shall we just let them sleep where they want?)

Over the weekend I'll get some more interior shots. Here are a few exterior photos from today after I cleaned up the debris field remaining from construction. Click for larger images.

Last edited:
Very Nice indeed............ lucky chickens
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I would keep putting them inside on their roost, for a few days till they get the idea. Be easier to train them to doing that now than after they have learned they can still sleep outside under the new circumatances. Just my thought. That is if it will get cold soon there. Good Luck.

Greg, your set-up is beautiful. Congratulations on a job well done!!! It's hard to say what chickens will do. I might just wait til dusk and see what they do. If no one is busting a move to the henhouse, try shaking a can of scratch from the inside. My girls will move heaven and earth to get to me for their beloved snacks.

Hopefully, it will look like a chicken version of "March of the Penguins" everyone marching up the ramp!

Good luck, and yep, we are waiting for those pics of the inside!

Vindicated! They like the coop. I noticed that all day they girls were in and out of the coop and run, realizing that their roaming territory had expanded.

I just went out at dusk, looking to see if I needed to encourage them to go roost inside, and they were already there! Woo hoo! Good chickie girls!

Whoa! That was easy, wasn't it? Great luck. They usually do love to have a coop to go into at night. I bet they are happy girls tonight, with the nice new territory.

Greg,
You have done a terrific job!!

So I wonder...is getting sent to the Dog house around there really getting sent to the chicken coop?
gig.gif
That wouldn't really be such a bad thing would it.
lol.png
It looks quite comfortable and you would have company to boot.
lau.gif

Quote:
Well, we were all joking during construction that it could easily become a guest cottage. Heck, with the vinyl windows and power already out there, just replace the OSB with sheetrock and carpent the place, it would be grand accomodations for visiting friends.

Back
Top Bottom