I probably should have posted here instead - protruding vent in chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KentuckyChick, Aug 4, 2010.

1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So I went out to check on the chicks and clean out the water dishes and whatnot. I always do a head count, make sure everyone is acting normally. Check the temp, etc. Well, one of the chicks I got yesterday I noticed has some stool around her vent. So I gently cleaned the area and discovered her vent is protruding. It's not horribly bad, not bleeding or anything, but after I cleaned, the tiniest bit of foamy looking liquid came out of her vent.

What do I do??? This chick was just hatched Monday, if that info is pertinent.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Is it more like swollen because of the poo irritated its butt; or prolapse (Where the rectum is coming out)?

Either way you could use Preparation H.

If it is pasty butt keep it clean.

If it is prolapse you might need to gently push it back in. Some people use sugar or honey too.

Good luck,

Imp

3. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It doesn't appear to be prolapsed. And no one is pecking at her, and she got severely upset about being isolated from the rest of the group, so I put her back and shes getting Prep H. I also gently cut the hair away from her vent.

I keep saying her, but there appears to be a 'bump' in her vent, so who knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by