I pulled off what I think is poop and made my week old chick bleed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teenytinytawny, Jul 5, 2011.

1. teenytinytawny

teenytinytawny New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    There was this hard pointed thing a 1/2 inch below the chicks vent (I think that's what its called- the hole that it poops out of.) I tried to let the poop come off with water but it wasn't even breaking down after 5 minutes of constant warm flowing water. It seemed like it was harder than it should be. I tried to do some research and saw someone said to try crushing the poop so It breaks. I did and then I saw red & white stuff under the supposed poop. I don't know what to do! Is my chick going to be okay? Should j just leave the wound alone? Should I separate the chick from the others?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    That is a tough one. You would definately want to get the stuff off IMHO and maybe try to disinfect the area? Sounds like some of the poo may have gotten the skin all infected?

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I would treat the wound with something like Neosporin, separate it so the others don't pick the site. Keep it warm, give it some electrolytes and just see how it does. As long as you didn't pull it's intestines out (which can happen), it might just be an owie. The challenge is keeping the wound clean since poop is going to pass by that spot all the time. The Neosporin should create a barrier to keep it clean.

Good luck!

4. teenytinytawny

teenytinytawny New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    What does IMHO mean? Would hydrogen peroxcide, or rubbing alcohol be safe?
    To be sure, a chick has no hard spots on them except the legs and beak right? Before I removed the poop I compared with my 5 other chicks and all of them seemed to have a tiny build up a 1/2 inch below the vent. I am assuming its poop but I am new to this. Is there a reason my chicks keep getting build up if that's what it is? I keep them in a large tote with proper bedding.

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Could it have really been where the chick absorbed the yolk? Kind of like an umbilical cord. I had the same thing on one of mine and just left it alone for fear that that was what it was. [​IMG] I'm totally new at all of this chicken stuff!!

6. teenytinytawny

teenytinytawny New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I think I will try the neosporin. I was kinda worked that I was pulling out intestines! I just went back to check on them and I can't tell who is who so it seems the blood it clotted to a good point maybe I should just put it on all their bottoms?

7. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:In my honest opinion. [​IMG]

8. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I don't know if they would all appreciate that [​IMG]

9. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:In my honest opinion. [​IMG]

humble...humble opinion. I was very humble [​IMG] Sorry about the confusion.

10. teenytinytawny

teenytinytawny New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    Chickeemama...maybe, where was your located?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by