I purchased 3 red sexlinks I love the colors so I purchased a few baby chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newbabys, Sep 29, 2016.

1. newbabys

newbabys Just Hatched

Sep 27, 2016
    My baby chicks are all different colors so I have 2 questions 1 are these in fact red sexlinks (talking about my older pullets) and two in the group of baby chicks could I have more than one type of chicken they are all so different in color?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. newbabys

newbabys Just Hatched

Sep 27, 2016
    My new baby chicks [​IMG]

3. newbabys

newbabys Just Hatched

Sep 27, 2016
    From what I have read the white ones such as this one would be the boy he has a little bit of brown in the wings very light brown [​IMG]

4. newbabys

newbabys Just Hatched

Sep 27, 2016
    But I also have some that are all white with teal feathers and without tail feathers[​IMG]

5. newbabys

newbabys Just Hatched

Sep 27, 2016
    I also have a few that have no tail feather at all and their body is Tiny compared to the others. They are from the same group [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yes, your hens are sex links.

Did you purchase sexed pullets, with the chicks? Or straight run? From a hatchery?

It looks like either a straight run batch, and yes the all white birds would be male, the gold headed birds female. Or, you bought second generation sex links from a private breeder and the sex is no longer linked to the color, in which case you're not going to be able to sex them until about 6 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Bantamfan4life

1 person likes this.
  9. newbabys

newbabys Just Hatched

Sep 27, 2016
    Thank you all. The difference shades of brown is diffrent on some girls so I guess they will all look a little diffrent. All from TSC half pullets half strait run so yes I do see a lot of boys. Thank you for the feedback. I read that strait run sometimes has more than one breed and I found 2 leghorns. Or so I think lol I will let them get older to sex them so I can be sure ♡ thank you again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by