I put a reserve order on 10 pullets for mid-March...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by debid, Jan 27, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    After much searching and frustration with the notion that I had to choose between getting what I want or getting quality birds, I found a local hatchery that offers "better quality" sexed pullets and carries nearly all of the many breeds I wanted to try my first time out. I've decided that the list is close enough to perfect and I can always add later, right? ;-) The experience so far is overwhelmingly positive and I'm hopeful that this is the best purchasing option for my first order. I'm very pleased that I'll be able to go pick up a box of newly-hatched chicks with the family on a Saturday that haven't endured a trip through the postal service and don't have unwanted cockerels keeping them warm. As a bonus, the higher price of the peeps is fully offset by not having to pay shipping or small order fees. In fact, they're treating me like anything but a small order. It's awesome!

Construction of the coop begins SOON (temps in the 50s forecast for this weekend!) I have a self-contained brooder box that could be set up in the garage if we get down to the wire but I'm hoping that 7 weeks is enough time to get it done and I can put the box in the coop right from the start. The brooder box has a removable side so I can then transition the chicks with minimal stress to free range of the coop when they outgrow their initial space.

Oh, I can't wait! [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Congratulations!
    What kinds are you getting?

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Here's my "expecting" list:

2 Welsummers
    1 Barnevelder
    4 Ameraucanas
    1 Speckled Sussex
    1 Dominique
    1 Black Australorp

I'm going for a colorful egg basket, if you couldn't tell ;-)

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Out of your list I only have the Australorps and a Dominique-both wonderful breeds(UNLESS your Americaunas are actually the Easter Eggers that lay colored eggs), if so I have 2 of those as well.
    I would love a Sussex, but that will just have to wait...for now...[​IMG]

5. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Congratulations on your order, we cannot wait to get ours. Hopefully this week the coop building will begin. [​IMG]

6. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    How exciting! I pick up my chicks end of February from Cackle Hatchery here in Missouri, an hours drive from my house. I'm keeping them and their initial brooder in our unused guest room. They'll be warm and safe from our dogs and cats. It's starting to look like a little nursery in there. Maybe I should have had kids![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by