1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I put a switch on the coop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RMBGKY, Jan 21, 2012.

1. RMBGKY

RMBGKY Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I have an automatic Pop Door, but I am always afraid it didn't open or it didn't close. The chicken coop is 500 ft. from the house. Today I installed a switch on the door connected to a light outside the coop so that when the door is closed the light is on and when it is open the light is off. Long distance peace of mind.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great idea... Only problem I've seen with the auto doors are the undecided chickens who don't know if they want to be in or out and end up getting smashed by the door.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Cool ideas to make sure it's open/closed. But I'd have to walk out there anyhow to do a headcount. I have had stragglers get shut out before, so I always check. I need a light that pops on with a roost headcount maybe??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by