1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I quess i will have to get rid of my roo...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom wewantchicks!, May 5, 2009.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    so this is what my roo did to my hen,
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=152975
    and now she is all healed up. i have tried putting her back in with the rest of the flock with no luck. everytime the roo chasses her and usually bloddies her back up.she doesnt even have a scab now,just still missing feathers. the last time i tried to leave her in the pen she hid under the coop all day:(. of course at this moment she probably doesnt mind her living situation,she sleeps in a dog box,and free ranges all day. she follows me and the kids everywhere and hangs out on the front walk LOL. she has even laid an egg 2 days in a row in front of the house. i dont know if i need to wait till she is 100percent,feather and all or what. the roo is fine with the rest of the girls,it just seems like he hates this one with a passion. i am getting ready to try to add the rest of the new chicks to the flock and i think the roo may kill them all.anyone have any advise or ideas,im sort of at a loss. i like my roo and i quess having one chicken in the yard that follows me like a puppy is ok,but i swear i am getting tired of worring about the rooster attacking this one hen.ok i just needed to get that off my chest

2. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    How about a chicken saddle?

3. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    its not her sides at all,its the back of her neck.everytime she goes into the pen,or he is in the yard,he goes after her. not like he wants to mate her,like jump on her back,full on attack to kill.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

What about separating HIM from the group, instead of her? I've been thinking about that for mine, because I have 2 roos. If they start fighting, or if one is not good to the girls, I will let him "free range" in the fenced-in yard instead of in the run with the rest of them.

5. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    Quote:i was thinking about this. there is a farm i drive by everyday and i always see the hens in the pen with the roo pacing outside LOL. the only problem is while he is a friendly guy,i cant go pick him up so i dont know if i can get him out by myself.maybe dh will help me catch him and toss him outta the pen.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    What's the use of having a rooster if he isn't kept with the hens? He won't be earning his keep and will grow frustrated being kept away from them. I don't know the reason for this unpredictable behavior, seems that for some reason he doesn't like this hen.

If the other hens treat this one hen well, and you've also got new pullets to add to your flock, I'd get rid of the rooster. I wouldn't trust a bird with quirks like his, who knows when he might get another odd idea & attack another hen, or a person?

There are many more mannerly roosters available, many of them fattening in a meat pen somewhere, who would be glad to be paroled and promoted to flock husband instead.

7. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    ouch! I wouldn't want to keep a rooster like that around either... poor hen.

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Sad, but I would do the same, hopefully you can re-home him!!

9. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    Eat the Rooster [​IMG]

10. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    well after much thought,he is up for adoption!! i think if someone could put him in with a not so established group,he would do just fine. i read all the posts about roos attacking and being horribly mean to kids,he is not like that. really he is pretty sweet and friendly.im just a big animal lover and i belive that if you give an animal a home,its your responsibilty to keep it,love it, and care for it. im pretty sure i have about 3 roos in my batch or new chicks so i quess i wont have a problem replacing him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by