We Quit Cigarettes

LOVE 'em. Now that DD is moving out and on, I'm mega-downsizing our flock. I am SERIOUSLY considering quail. They're a lot smaller than chickens, so that counts as downsizing, right?
They barely count. They are so easy too which makes them count even less.

Let's get to the topic. Cigarettes.
I never smoked BUT I did chew tobacco. Many say it's worse, I do agree, not just for the nasty aspect but the health and what it does to you aspect as well.

I quit in January of 2000, it was my new years Resolution, and the Navy was paying for the 'stuff' and 'program' to get me to quit.

At the time, I was chewing a package of Red Man tobacco a day and a can to a can and a half of Copenhagen a day, I liked their new 'whiskey' flavored one.

Before you start they do blood tests etc to see where you are at. The doctor came to me and spoke to me privately and said, Aaron right now, you have enough nicotine in your system that would kill a normal person. Your blood pressure is through the roof, your weight and overall health is NOT helping. Im not going to get into your entire situation because my job is only the nicotine addiction, but if I may be frank, you are a fat slob, and you are heading straight for a heart attack / and or stroke. Quitting tobacco absolutely will help you, but again, to be honest, if you do not change your lifestyle, it will take you out eventually. This at best, is only delaying what is waiting for you, and every other fat slob who does not care for their body. Navy doctors tend to not give a flying #%# about your pussy little snowflake feelings, and are going to tell you straight up if you ask them.

I took the nicotine thing to heart, but already was going that route. the fat slob part, ehh. I really did not take into much consideration to be totally honest with ya'all... until the beginning of this year really, when I had a good sit down with myself. I am getting ready to go to the VA to get my disability re evaluated since my spine injuries are eventually going to basically totally wreck me. It's a train wreck and I am watching it happen with not much I can for it except try to slow te progression of it. I went through my old medical records to get everything in order to present to them, and well... came across old reports from 20 years ago.

Ok, sorry getting off topic...
WHen I started the quit nicotine journey, normally they put you on a patch and some pills, Wellbutrin to be exact. I absolutely HATED the pills, they made me feel HORRIBLE and said F this, im not taking them, ill stick with just the patch. Since I was such a bad abuser of Nicotine, they actually started me on a patch and a half. I was not on a 8 week to quit program, I was on a 12 week program. Ok, whatever.

Fast forward a year. I am off the nicotine, feeling a LOT better. THe quitting, you can put on a few pounds as you find 'other' things to shove in your face as a crutch for the cigarette / chaw.. that you no longer are.

For two to three months i actually shoved coffee grounds into my lip. It was an excellent placebo. It felt like tobacco... almost, and gave me a tiny little buzz from the caffeine.. sort of like a tobacco buzz... almost... It helped at the time.

I would often think of tobacco, think about taking a dip, taking a 'chaw'... and could shake them thoughts off... Nope, you quit Aaron, stop thinking of that shit...

YES, you WILL dream about it, in your dreams, you will be in situations where you ARE using tobacco, CAN use tobacco, are OFFERED tobacco to use. A friend gives you a cigarette in a bar.. as an example. Im not trying to bullshit, this stuff DOES have this much power over you once it hooks you as badly as I was. I mean oh come ON, a DREAM. oh shut up you are an idiot.... Hopefully your situation is a bit better. When you wake up, you remember this crap, it's in your mind, TOBACCO is in your mind. In a day or so, you eventually forget about it and push it OUT of your mind where it belongs.

Two to Three years later.. ehh. I quit, I can see people using it, I can smell it, it really does not do much to / for me anymore. The physical addiction is long gone, the mental, it's being broken very well also... Im not dwelling on it, it does not engulf me anymore. trust me, not a day will go by where you wont think of 'tobacco' you using it, possibly trying it again, etc etc.

5 to 10 years later, I would think of it from time to time but instead of a yearning it was more of like an oh ick. man I can't believe I was doing that nasty $%$t

Fast forward 20 to 21 years later. I have NO desire to use it, NO desire to be around it, No I am not a fanatic and don't beat, lecture, berate people etc who use it, I remember what it was like and how BADLY it controlled you/me. If you want to chew or smoke, that's fine, it does not bother me, in fact when I really think about it, at this point in my life, getting back on it .. the thought kind of scares me Holy shit, oh my god Aaron, that stuff will wreck your blood pressure.. your dental is already a disaster from the 23 years yo DID chew that crap, you really want to go after the rest of what teeth you have left?? There is not one desire AT ALL...to restart any of that habit.... GOOD!!

This got very long and for that I apologize but my message to those who are trying to quit. It's GOOD, your entire life will be better for it but it's also HARD. VERY hard, for a few years after, that crap is going to give you dreams and all sorts of mental abuse to mess with you. F$%$K it, YOU need to take control of your life and say NO, I am NOT going BACK!! "friends trying to convince you that. oh it's just ONE drink, anyone can handle t hat...." kind of bs does not happen as much as with say the Alcohol addiction or those who got hooked on pills etc but you will get your occasional.. acquaintance who may try to downplay your accomplishment. be polite but be FIRM. NO I am NOT going back, NOT EVEN ONCE!!!

This journey, in real life, actually takes YEARS... to be totally honest, takes an entire LIFE TIME.. but each day that you pass where it does not control you, is a day towards freedom, a day MORE of freedom. A day LONGER that you may live, and not have to see your grandchildren crying in hospice, because you are dying of a cancer that you could have avoided.

Just saying, idle ramblings of an idiot...

Aaron

Let's get to the topic. Cigarettes.
I never smoked BUT I did chew tobacco. Many say it's worse, I do agree, not just for the nasty aspect but the health and what it does to you aspect as well.

I quit in January of 2000, it was my new years Resolution, and the Navy was paying for the 'stuff' and 'program' to get me to quit.

At the time, I was chewing a package of Red Man tobacco a day and a can to a can and a half of Copenhagen a day, I liked their new 'whiskey' flavored one.

Before you start they do blood tests etc to see where you are at. The doctor came to me and spoke to me privately and said, Aaron right now, you have enough nicotine in your system that would kill a normal person. Your blood pressure is through the roof, your weight and overall health is NOT helping. Im not going to get into your entire situation because my job is only the nicotine addiction, but if I may be frank, you are a fat slob, and you are heading straight for a heart attack / and or stroke. Quitting tobacco absolutely will help you, but again, to be honest, if you do not change your lifestyle, it will take you out eventually. This at best, is only delaying what is waiting for you, and every other fat slob who does not care for their body. Navy doctors tend to not give a flying #%# about your pussy little snowflake feelings, and are going to tell you straight up if you ask them.

I took the nicotine thing to heart, but already was going that route. the fat slob part, ehh. I really did not take into much consideration to be totally honest with ya'all... until the beginning of this year really, when I had a good sit down with myself. I am getting ready to go to the VA to get my disability re evaluated since my spine injuries are eventually going to basically totally wreck me. It's a train wreck and I am watching it happen with not much I can for it except try to slow te progression of it. I went through my old medical records to get everything in order to present to them, and well... came across old reports from 20 years ago.

Ok, sorry getting off topic...
WHen I started the quit nicotine journey, normally they put you on a patch and some pills, Wellbutrin to be exact. I absolutely HATED the pills, they made me feel HORRIBLE and said F this, im not taking them, ill stick with just the patch. Since I was such a bad abuser of Nicotine, they actually started me on a patch and a half. I was not on a 8 week to quit program, I was on a 12 week program. Ok, whatever.

Fast forward a year. I am off the nicotine, feeling a LOT better. THe quitting, you can put on a few pounds as you find 'other' things to shove in your face as a crutch for the cigarette / chaw.. that you no longer are.

For two to three months i actually shoved coffee grounds into my lip. It was an excellent placebo. It felt like tobacco... almost, and gave me a tiny little buzz from the caffeine.. sort of like a tobacco buzz... almost... It helped at the time.

I would often think of tobacco, think about taking a dip, taking a 'chaw'... and could shake them thoughts off... Nope, you quit Aaron, stop thinking of that shit...

YES, you WILL dream about it, in your dreams, you will be in situations where you ARE using tobacco, CAN use tobacco, are OFFERED tobacco to use. A friend gives you a cigarette in a bar.. as an example. Im not trying to bullshit, this stuff DOES have this much power over you once it hooks you as badly as I was. I mean oh come ON, a DREAM. oh shut up you are an idiot.... Hopefully your situation is a bit better. When you wake up, you remember this crap, it's in your mind, TOBACCO is in your mind. In a day or so, you eventually forget about it and push it OUT of your mind where it belongs.

Two to Three years later.. ehh. I quit, I can see people using it, I can smell it, it really does not do much to / for me anymore. The physical addiction is long gone, the mental, it's being broken very well also... Im not dwelling on it, it does not engulf me anymore. trust me, not a day will go by where you wont think of 'tobacco' you using it, possibly trying it again, etc etc.

5 to 10 years later, I would think of it from time to time but instead of a yearning it was more of like an oh ick. man I can't believe I was doing that nasty $%$t

Fast forward 20 to 21 years later. I have NO desire to use it, NO desire to be around it, No I am not a fanatic and don't beat, lecture, berate people etc who use it, I remember what it was like and how BADLY it controlled you/me. If you want to chew or smoke, that's fine, it does not bother me, in fact when I really think about it, at this point in my life, getting back on it .. the thought kind of scares me Holy shit, oh my god Aaron, that stuff will wreck your blood pressure.. your dental is already a disaster from the 23 years yo DID chew that crap, you really want to go after the rest of what teeth you have left?? There is not one desire AT ALL...to restart any of that habit.... GOOD!!

This got very long and for that I apologize but my message to those who are trying to quit. It's GOOD, your entire life will be better for it but it's also HARD. VERY hard, for a few years after, that crap is going to give you dreams and all sorts of mental abuse to mess with you. F$%$K it, YOU need to take control of your life and say NO, I am NOT going BACK!! "friends trying to convince you that. oh it's just ONE drink, anyone can handle t hat...." kind of bs does not happen as much as with say the Alcohol addiction or those who got hooked on pills etc but you will get your occasional.. acquaintance who may try to downplay your accomplishment. be polite but be FIRM. NO I am NOT going back, NOT EVEN ONCE!!!

This journey, in real life, actually takes YEARS... to be totally honest, takes an entire LIFE TIME.. but each day that you pass where it does not control you, is a day towards freedom, a day MORE of freedom. A day LONGER that you may live, and not have to see your grandchildren crying in hospice, because you are dying of a cancer that you could have avoided.

Just saying, idle ramblings of an idiot...

Aaron
I remember the bourbon flavor. That was a long time ago..

My doctor put me on Welbutrin to try and help me quit as well. I'm now on the maxed out dose of 300mg daily and it does nothing for me other than give me energy.

I think my biggest struggle is the physical addiction. The motions. The feeling of having it in there. I tried quitting about 12 years ago. Found this ground up mint stuff that comes in a can. Thought "Okay - this should work great." Ha. Not even. When I'm ready, I'm going to try coffee grounds! That is an excellent idea.

Great job on quitting! I've been told any times that smokeless tobacco is easily 10x harder to quit than smoking. I've tried quitting twice. I believe it.

Back
Top Bottom