1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I ran out of feed... will this be okay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Malibu99, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    So... a chipmunk got into the food, ate some, and made himself at home... ._. The feed store here is closed. So I mixed some Steel-cut oats (around 50-60%; uncooked), some scratch (40-50%), and as many of those black and white sunflower seeds as I could find on my plants (I did not take the shells off of them... is this okay? Or do I need to shell them and cook them or something?). Will this be okay? I know they -can- go without food for a day, but they seemed hungry and they can't really free range much. I'm thinking of adding some oyster shell bits (they are laying)... So is this mixture okay? Thanks. I am afraid that I'll kill them or something with the oats or the sunflower seeds [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    I went ahead and gave them some. They seem to like it :3

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think it will be okay while you try to locate some more food. I wouldn't keep them on this for too terribly long.

4. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Okay. Thanks :) They'll have their normal feed by tomorrow afternoon, more than likely.

5. DaisyFields

DaisyFields Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2012
    Branchville, NJ
    I have been giving mine the sunflower seeds from my sunflowers as a treat and they seem to really like them. Not their whole diet, but as an occasional "extra" now and then. So far they all seem ok.

I also give them some of the less-than-perfect sweet corn cobs. If anyone thinks either of these might be bad for them do let me know, just a newbie trying to give them treats[​IMG]

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by