1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I ran out of medicated starter/grower feed...can I switch to non-medic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lisa202, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Hi all,

Thanks to an ordering error at my feed store, I am totally out of medicated feed for my 13 month old bantams. Can I just switch to the non-medicated feed? I have been reading on here that I have to do it gradually (which I cannot do). I have also gotten conflicting advise on how long they need the medicated...anywhere from taking them off it at 4 weeks to not until they start laying.

and if I give them the non-medicated now, until the medicated comes in next week, can I just go back to using it, or do I have to do that gradually also?

Thanks!!

oops...I meant 13 weeks. sorry

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Why are you using medicated feed, is there something wrong with your bantams?? Personally I do not nor have I ever used medicated feed. Chicks started on just regular starter are given a chance for their natural immune systems to develop and learn to become resistant to certain things. I have never had any issues starting chicks with regular feed and i hatch hatch allot! JMO

I really don't think you will have a problem just switching them to non medicated feed. At 13 months old are they should already be on a layer feed. Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've used medicated and my birds did just fine. You can switch after awhile if you want it's not that big a deal. At least in my experience it hasn't been. I've had chicks in the coop and they do fine but don't grow as fast as their brooder counterparts.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Go ahead and switch to the non-medicated. I wouldn't switch back at this age. One thing that's important to do when feeding medicated is to make sure your birds are getting time on the ground, to expose them to the coccidiosis. The medicated helps them build an immunity to it, but they have to be exposed to kick start their immune system.
    ETA: I just re-read your post and see that your birds are 13 months old? Unless you mean they are 13 weeks old, I would make the switch to layer feed. If they are indeed 13 weeks old, go ahead and switch to a non-medicated or a grower feed if you can get it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I only use medicated for the first couple weeks, then unmedicated till about 4 months old, then layer after that... I never gradually switch, when the bags gone I switch!

6. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:Thanks for catching that...I did mean 13 weeks...sorry. But good to know that I can just switch. They are in a sand filled run, so I don't know if they are getting exposed to cocci or not.

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by