I reached in for my wallet and found an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by omelette'smom, Dec 1, 2008.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Since production of eggs is so low lately, I am not prepared to gather them and bring them inside the house. I found one 2 days ago and put it in my pocket. I went shopping later that day and as i was getting my money......wa-la......an egg! thankfully unbroken! I put a light in the coop to extend daylight. I'm going to try changing the timer to go on early in a.m. and to shut off earlier than i have the timer now. I got 3 eggs in one day where i normally get one in 3 days. I think it's working. I check on them while the light is on for them and they still are going to sleep as if the light ISN'T on. I would figure that they would be walking around and such! Who else had a light on and what are your chickens doing?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm consantly asking DH, "Where's the eggs?" when he comes in at nite. They might be in his pocket, a bucket or a feed scope. Sometimes he sets them down somewhere and has to backtrack to find out where he left them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I do the same thing! I have found eggs in my pocket, on the straw stack (because I put them there) on top of the chicken tractor, etc. It's hard to get them in the house when you are trying to feed, water and watch two small boys at the same time!

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

So, Buster, Are you saying my DH is just a NORMAL BYCer then? [​IMG]

5. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Holey moley, Pam! I can't even make it from the coop to the house with an egg in my pocket! I did that the other week when my hens started laying, and sqashed it going in my back door.

Oh well, my Carhartt jacket needed washing anyway.

Anyway, my 10 hens started full production last week. I was gone over the weekend, and came home to a dozen eggs for 2 days. It's a very good feeling. My teenage hens are now full-fledged laying machines!

And eating machines, too.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

If he's anything like me he is! [​IMG] Then again, my wife would say that I'm FAR from NORMAL! [​IMG]

7. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My DH runs the eggs inside right away! we've had chickens since july and every egg is like paydirt! He's all smiles and shows them to me like he has little john deere toys in his hands or like he made them himself![​IMG]

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:ditto. just the other day I was going to put the eggs in the fridge, I usually bring them in and put them on the counter. They werent there and then I got distracted. When I put my coat on the next day I thought it felt kind of heavy.....3 eggs, none broken [​IMG]

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

i did that once but it was in my hoody pocket ...and the only way i found out was when my niece jump on my lamp and i heard something break..talk about a mess

10. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I'm asking my DW for an egg basket for Christmas.

Am I easy, or what?

Actually, I'm cheap. For Christmas, I'm mostly asking my DW to spend as little as possible. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by