I read about all the dogs, what about cats?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by demonica29, Nov 25, 2010.

1. demonica29

demonica29 New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I got a real kick out of the dog thread and all the pictures. Who has cats and how do they do with the chickens?

2. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    I have eight barn/coop cats.Everybody gets along very well and a couple of the cats like to go in the coop with me and stroll around.Several times this summer I received gifts of dead rodents or parts thereof. [​IMG] I feel that the cats are worth their weight in gold when it comes to rodent control. Sorry,don't have any pics handy.The momma cat was abandoned when someone up the road moved this spring and she turned out to be pregnant.Both her and the kittens are now spayed/neutered and have payed me back well for the care and food I have given to them and I would not trade them for anything.Luv my kitties [​IMG]

3. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Happy Thanksgiving All..[​IMG] I've had dogs and cats as pets all my life. The cat i have now adopted me, as my prevous cat was dying.She came wonderingout of the woods, meowing and prey friendly. No collar or tags, i think she was abandoned. I've had her just over four yrs and chickens,like 3 1/2 yrs. She didn't like the hens at first and stalked them for awhile.Now she doesn't pay much attention the them at all.She spends most of her time chasing rodents and sleeping...Shes an amazing hunter and kill lots of moles/voles, mice, ans sadly a songbird here and there...
    I did have a problem with another cat, that didn't act feral at all, but had no collar/tags...I lost two NH Reds in two weeks, and had seen the cat around my yard a few times. both hens died of neck/throat injuries.The hens weren't eaten at all..The day the 2nd hen died i heard a commotion at the back of my property,hens squawking and carrying on. I grabbed my pellet rifle and walked back toward the bushes where the racket had been. There was one of my NH Reds laying motionless on the ground and the cat i've seen around a few feet away from the dead hen.I shot the cat with the pellet rifle and it went over the stockade fence on the back of my land.That was a couple months ago, haven't seen the cat since, and haven't lost any more hens since.
    Seems most cats won't bother with a large hen, but it does happen.I think a cat would more likely go after a chick, or younger ,smaller hen.The cat i shot, just killed my hen, didn't eat it. There was fresh blood ozing from the throat wound and she was very warm, had just died..I think most cats living around chickens don't bother with them once they been around them awhile..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by