I read about "hen fever" that swept America starting in the mid-1800s

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bullitt, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I was reading about Cochins on The livestock Conservancy website. http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/cochin

"Together with the Brahma chicken, the Cochin fueled what became known as 'hen fever' – a national obsession for all things poultry that overtook America and England around 1850."

I had not heard about "hen fever" before. I suppose the feather-legged Cochins and Brahmas were so different from what was known to Americans and British that people became interested in these new breeds.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It is funny what becomes an obsession with people isn't it. I guess Hen Fever wasn't as strange as the Tulip Mania, but you do have to wonder what combination of factors it takes to get something like that together. Pot Bellied Pigs, Llamas, remember when everybody had to have a Saint Bernard in the 1970's, for Dalmatians blame Disney.

3. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

And the seramas!

Yea I wanted some but for pets really not breeding (okay maybe hatch a coupe of eggs here and there...)

4. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

"Hen fever" must have been partly the result of newspapers and magazines publishing articles about them, I would think.

I remember Dobermans being very popular in the 1970s. It might have been partly because of movies like "The Amazing Dobermans."

It is difficult to determine all the factors that go into making an animal popular. In some cases it might just be the uniqueness of an animal, such as the all black Ayam Cemani that people are now paying $2,500 per chick.

5. miss heny

:thud I'll wait a few years for them thank you. I may love how the bird looks but in truth is is only worth as much as the person is willing to pay for it!
    Horse market anyone?

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

You are right.

I wouldn't pay one cent for a chick breed that has all black meat. They are just to show off to friends and start conversations. That same thing can be done with many breeds that cost less than $3 a chick, and they are much more useful.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    double thud, pretty birds, but there are quite a few other birds that look close enough for $5 thank you.
    Ya, can we say Arabian Halter Horse Market, talk about a crash.
    Just need to figure out what the next fad is so you can get in on the ground floor.

8. miss heny

Sadly peoples minds are to sporadic to understand :p at least those without OCD (the chicken type)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by