i read and still dont understand what liqiud calcium do I use ? she my precious Baby Girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    where do I buy it???? think my Baby Girl cant lay an egg Its been like 2 weeks. she is only 6 1/2 month old. Gave her two warm baths so far.. Ky jelly aroun her vent. Felt sides od vent feels like eggs to me. Hubby says that is her hip bones....She stands around with eyes closed and will eat some. already give them Probiotics and"Lfe Lyte "water plus to the side straight water with drop or so of ACV, Braggs brand in a glass coffee pot. changed every day she usually is active and pecks at other two smaller gals hogging everything for herself. could it be worms.since they all love the compost pile????? HELP
    none o my four supplements mention calciu. I dont think she touches the oyster shell that I keep out.....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Worms or possible coccidiosis could be possible. Worms are treated with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) or Valbazen 1/2 ml once orally, then repeat in 10 days. Coccidiosis is treated with Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Enteritis could also be a possibility. You can give calcium many different ways--crushed egg shells, a calcium tablet 500mg, a Tums tablet, and in calcium gluconate from the feed store given orally. To check for egg bound, you can insert a finger 1-2 inches inside her vent with a rubber glove. Here are 2 links that you can read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  3. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    do i give her the whole crushed Oscal 500 mg tabet in water at one time?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could crush it and give it in yogurt or wet feed. Some people give Tums when cut in half half by pushing them in the back of the throat.

5. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    took her to vet . He gave an injection of Baytril and an extra syringe full if she was not better. still have the syringe.... She is some better But she still will hang back and stay by herself and not forages much. Float test was suposdedly negative. But I dont see how he The Vet could have gotten much of a sample such diahere on the newspaper in bottom of cage I took her in.... Vet was not a small animal vet either. But only one (vet) close enough to treat her willingly....
    Baby Girl...she also wants to sleep by herself at other end of Roost. Usually she picks and pecks at the other two younger hens when they try to sleep By ROOROO.....
    Now I have the Safeguard Liquid Goat and Wazine... Dont I need to give it to all of them? can I just put it in their water..... her poo is still not solid. Looke like a small worm in it the yesterday. none of the chickens want to be handled. Older ones ( obtained the old chickens March 1st this year....
    Please advise as I think she is losing weight. I should have also asked vet to look inside her mouth, too.....
    Got her poo on boot tray out in garage.. not cleaned it yet.. Can we do our own float test?????
    I will be lucky to get "Baby Girl" much less the other chicken s to give them any treatment. wish I could hypotize them so I could treat each of the total 9 chickens... they are in two groups...'
    can i put the wormer in their water??? I usully put'Life Lyte"and "SAve a Chick" brand ....Half of each in each group of chickens water glass bowls and cups......
    Thanks please help

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by