I REALLY am a novice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nell the novice, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Nell the novice

Nell the novice New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado Mountains
    I just don't know what I am doing. I want to ask more questions, get more help, but I've been on tis ting for three hours now and haven't figured out how to do it except start over. I started reading about feeding chickens and am scared to tears for my girls. They were 10 to 12 weeks old, I think, when I got them. I was told they were started on layer pellets and to keep them on them. Now everything I read says I'm destroying their kidneys. I do know that after three months very few are showing a lot of signs of maturity although they are growing well. A couple seem to have very loose, although normal color, poop. They've been on layer mash and for the first week that was all as I kept them in the coop until they had adjusted. The yard had grass when I turned them out and they ate a lot of it and also a lot of the ants crawling around it. I have not given them any grit as we've very gravelly soil with a lot of granite in it so I figure they are probably getting plenty. I started feeding them grains, rolled corn mixed with tritical, barley, rye and now what my husband calls "field grain" and I call unknown. I also, in June when it turned so hot started giving them fresh grass every day. With 12 pullets I've been giving them about 3/4 tobacco can of the scratch grain and lots of grass or other garden greens (cauliflower that failed to flower, some weeds, herbs, lettuce) and when we had any, left over pancakes or biscuits (not very often). I'm so afraid I've done permanent damage to their kidneys or something....I don't like to use my computer for more than a word processor so haven't really tried to research for help before but I'm so concerned with their health now (although they seem to have plenty of energy and look good but have shed a lot of feathers, mostly fluff which I blamed on maturing and the heat). I finally signed up for Backyard Chickens but now I can't really figure out how to use it besides I have very little spare time and days like today I hate myself and the computer because I've wasted so much time and just worried myself more over my girls. I know I've written a book here and if someone can tell me how to get information, questions answered, posts done without babbling on please answer or if you're an administrator e-mail me some help. I'll be forever grateful.

Nell the Novice

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Welcome it's great to have you!

4. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    How old are your girls now? What kind of chickens? Relax I would start soon adding some oyster shells to their diet for grit and strong eggs. I know that panic feeling you have inside. Start posting some pics of your girls and the coop. We are all here for you. I didn't want to be bother with another social site but this is far better and you would be surprised the people you meet and the information you learn! Oh yeah put some Apple Cider Vinegear in their water 1tbsp per gallon 2 if their sick. Good luck and again Welcome!

~M

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined us!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] No need to panic, what was done is done!

Do you know what breeds you have? I only ask because some take longer to start laying eggs than others. Were you told if the chickens were pullets(girls) or cockerels (males). I think the easiest way to get basic information would be for to click on The Learning Center. That should answer a lot of your questions. If you have more questions come back here and we will do our best to answer you.

I'm not very good with computers either, basically I know how to click on, send email, delete etc. I still haven't figured out how to post pictures and I've been a member for 4 years. I am a slow learner tho and still able to enjoy BYC.

7. thudson

thudson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Gatesville Texas
    Welcome to the BYC!!!! We will get you and your girls thru any situation, so bear with us and these blasted computers![​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Nell, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! You're gonna do just fine!

9. Nell the novice

Nell the novice New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado Mountains
    Ten are Rhode Island, 1 cookoo Maran, 1 Welsummer, 1 silver lace and 1 golden lace Wyandot. The Maran is really looking more like a hen every day and a couple of the Rhode Islands are also getting redder combs and wattles and looking more "henny." I'd like to get them more used to handling...more is a little mild as I can't catch them at all. I have started after they roost handling a couple a little. Is this a good idea? And how do I post anything? I don't want to start a new thread every time. Seems redundant.

N the N

10. Nell the novice

Nell the novice New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado Mountains
    Whoops! I can't even count any more. 8 Rhode Islands and the four others.

N the N

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by