I really don't like the waiting!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cynthia12, May 20, 2010.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have what I call....the early stages of, "come on already!" I'm supposed to wait how long???? I have 18 eggs in the bator, for now a whopping>>three>>>whole>>days!
    I want to candle, wonder if I would see anything yet? Too soon? I've candled this early before and saw a few blood vessels..that made me happy. Maybe I'll go see if I can be happy with a couple of light ones. [​IMG] I guess this is really a huge part of the excitemnet of it all.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh dang! Welcome to the hatching addiction!!!!! Mine has been of for.............................. 2 days!

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I usually candle at 4 days and you can usually tell which ones are growing by then. Most wait like 10 days, but I just can't do it. Drives me nuts. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I HAVE to wait to til day 10 or I make myself nuts wondering "is it ok or not" "Did I really see that or not"

5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, I saw, I saw! For real, in the lighter eggs...blood vessels for sure! [​IMG]

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I've decided to hold back on candling again, until-----Monday..trying, hard, trying, very hard, at least I know that some have started by taking a peek last night..maybe waiting will make time go by faster?????

7. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    I'm a candle-holic. I just finished my first hatch ever which, imho, was very successful. The ones that died early, I feel, were due to the fact that they were shipped eggs. Of the bad eggs, I had many that had broken air cells. Many. The ones that were incubated for 3-5 days, I learned quickly which died early or never developed. A few blood rings were noted right away. I marked a question mark on all questionable eggs and placed them far away from my good eggs in the incubator...just in case they decided to explode. [​IMG] Of those very early eggs, I had one quitter. The rest that remained as blood rings, I cracked, verified my findings, then moved on. When it came to lockdown, I candled a couple of eggs and right away I figured that since I had been candling regularly, that it would be impossible for me to even attempt to see through all these very filled looking eggs. The only problem was, I randomly candled eggs. I couldn't remember from one day to the next which one I had candled and which one I had not.

Lockdown day-Of the first 7 eggs I had placed in the bator, 4 did not make it. Apparently, 3 of them died before I even placed them into the bator. The 4th is questionable atm, but still alive. I verified this today when I cracked them open. [​IMG] IMO, you can learn tons by candling regularly. Even more so by cracking open eggs that you candle and know are bad. You can't learn anything if you don't keep an eye on things.

BTW-the second group of eggs I placed into the bator 48 hours after the first was a huge success! Out of 8, seven made it out. The 8th one had pipped the wrong end a day early. I had randomly candled all of these eggs since about day 3. [​IMG]

Basically, I say....candle away! Make it quick and make sure you have steady hands so you don't drop any!

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    ChickinTexas, you sound like me..I did the same with my first two hatches. It's so true, you learn a lot..some the hard way. I also had my first eggs mailed to me...not a good hatch at all. My second one was mailed also, but was good, because I'm thinking it was from my own state not--a long trip for them. Plus, she pkged them well! I now have two different places I can get eggs from, and realize there are plenty of places close by here come spring, when I am ready to hatch again. I drive to pick them up. I love those little baby things. [​IMG]

9. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    My most successful hatch so far was from Mississippi. I'm in Central Texas. Not a huge distance by some standards but still quite a distance. You never know who's going to pick up that package and give it a good shake before moving on [​IMG]

I encourage everyone to candle often. How else are you going to learn? I suppose after the "newness" wears off, then candling every 10-15 days or whatever would be fine. I personally have a deep fear of an egg exploding! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by