I really love my rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin'sBrood, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

He lets me know if there is anything wrong in the run. He sounds the alarm when a hawk is near. AND, he crows his little head off if there is no food or the water in their bowl has frozen. Other than that, he's pretty quiet.

Case in point...

My DH lets them out of their coop every morning. There is usually some food left in their dish and drinkable water in their bowl, so he normally doesn't crow once he's out of the coop (I can't hear him crowing in the coop.) Well this morning at 6:45 he's out there crowing one crow after another. I'm lying in bed thinking... "bet they're out of food".... so I get up and go downstairs to see what's going on out there. I look outside and there is my roo standing right beside the empty food dish, with all 3 of the girls standing nearby. Filled the dish and haven't heard from him since. [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thats wonderful and so sweet! My roo is not either of those 2 things. But he may be soup or fried chicken soon! [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    CUTE!!!

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I love my roosters too [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I love mine too! Whenever I let them out of the run, he'll follow me everywhere and he'll come when I call him too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by