I really messed this hatch up.

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
In so many ways.

I was dry incubating, miscounted on days, and housesat for family this weekend and forgot to ask hubby to rotate eggs while I was gone. D'OH. It's day 20, not 18 like I thought, they all went unroatated for lmost 2 days (ok for those that are far enough along but I also have ducks and chickens a week behind)...I just got home and went to turn and 2 salmon fervelles (?) are PIP'd and my humidity was only 23%

he.gif

I've taken emergency measures to raise humidity and hope some make it. dangit. I feel so stupid and irresponsible.

Last edited:
It's OK! Not all is lost. I had that happen with my last hatch. I delayed lock down an extra day to make sure the air cells were dipping and they had lost enough weight before lock down and had to go to work in between. Between that time I had 3 pips before I could get home (my man told me I had holes). I had 2 assisted (none of which were the ones first pipped) and my humidity was at 24% when I got home an 1 1/2 hours later. I had a 100% hatch out of my own personal eggs that time.

IT happens lol, don't fret too much!

Hey 15 of these eggs are NN silkies :) One is almost 2 weeks behind the other---my son found the egg in our couch
hide.gif
it must have gotten lost when I was unwrapping them from their shipment.

Humidity holding steady at 71% right now, the 2 eggs are still cheeping. There's a 3rd SF but I don't hear anything from it.

I wouldn't get too upset about it yet! I had much the same thing happen to me! 2 of my kids and myself got wicked sick and I just couldn't seem to haul my big butt to the incubator room for a couple days! Unfortunately I forgot that the first of those 2 days was suppose to be the first day of lockdown!
he.gif
When I finally got in there I had humidity at 25%, 3 pips and 2 hatched early birds! Got the humidity up and all went well! 100% hatch that round!
woot.gif

jumpy.gif
I always count my chickens before they hatch!!! Wishful thinking is the only thinking!!!
jumpy.gif

Sounds like you are going to have quite a bit of cute and fluffy "vulture babies" or your hands LOL!!

I am an avid supporter of knowing when to assist and knowing how if needed. I refuse to let my little dudettes (or dudes) die because they are "weak". It sounds like you are doing great so far!! I wouldn't be worried at all, I'd leave them till morning and asses the situation again. If you still have some that are unhatched that did pip, and it has been 24 hours since they did pip---I would consider assisting these only. If you candle and see that they have internally pipped and not externally--they should within 6-24 hours, if they do not I would assist (check the goose egg incubation article at the bottom for more info)

I try to candle even through lock down when I sense something is wrong. Generally if you keep the eggs moist, they should be fine if you have to open the incubator. I spray mine down with a fine warm mist of sterile saline anytime I open the incubator during lock down, and do an "In and Out" if I have to remove an egg for observation or assistance.

I love Pete55's info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/577310/a-guide-to-humidity-weighing-and-lockdown#post_7493364

This may also help you too:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

I actually assisted the 1st to PIP last night and she's doing well...just clumbsy still. She hatched during the night sometime (I opened the shell and left her to do the rest). The 2nd I just PIP'd because the 3rd was dead & very shrink wrapped on egg-topsy. The "vulture babies" are 2 days behind so I think I got them into "lockdown" ok. My lockdown is not a lockdown at all, since I do staggered hatches in the same bator, but I stop turning and mist mist mist
hide.gif

Coming up later on are Indian Runners, 2 Pekins, and some Buckeye Mixes I tossed in the incubator when I was grieving over the loss of our BE Roo, Marylou. He flogged me too many times so I gave him away on CL as a free chicken dinner. Couldn't risk my little boys getting hurt.

Back
Top Bottom