I really need help. Please look!!!

stacibful

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Since November we've lost 3 hens to a mysterious illness. We do not have a local avian vet so I'm not sure what to do. These two seem to be getting what the others had. The brown one in the picture is shaky, breathing with her mouth open and having a hard time standing. I did see some blood under her vent on the feathers. The white one just looks weird to me. Her comb has receded a little bit and lightened in color.

The previous chickens that died would stop eating, have fluffed feathers, yellow runny poo and a hard time standing. They are fed Layena crumbles twice daily and water continually. They do get treats occasionally. I haven't seen any mites. If she dies I plan on doing an internal inspection. What should I look for? Thank you!!!
[/IMG]

Since November we've lost 3 hens to a mysterious illness. We do not have a local avian vet so I'm not sure what to do. These two seem to be getting what the others had. The brown one in the picture is shaky, breathing with her mouth open and having a hard time standing. I did see some blood under her vent on the feathers. The white one just looks weird to me. Her comb has receded a little bit and lightened in color.

The previous chickens that died would stop eating, have fluffed feathers, yellow runny poo and a hard time standing. They are fed Layena crumbles twice daily and water continually. They do get treats occasionally. I haven't seen any mites. If she dies I plan on doing an internal inspection. What should I look for? Thank you!!!
[/IMG]

When you lost the others, how long did it take after you noticed?how old are they. Could they have coccidia if they are younger?

Did they have any chick vaccines?
They need to be at 85 degrees if possible.
Do you have electrolytes to add to water?
Start giving water with a syringe.

Do you have kitchen scale to weigh them so you can track when it is time to tube feed?

Just some ideas before someone else chimes in.

I would probably start them on Corid in the water if they aren't eating, since they seem to have symptoms of coccidiosis. Make sure that they drink the medicated water, and treat for 5 days. How old are they? Worms could aslso be a problem. I would contact your state vet, and if you lose another, it would be wise to get a necropsy, but the corpse has to be refrigerated.

They are almost a year old. The other ones died within 3 weeks after I noticed symptoms. The brown girl got sick quickly today. I've noticed no symptoms in her. They have not been wormed or vaccinated. That's something I didn't know I needed to do. They do have electrolytes in their water. I have a feeling the brown hen won't make it through the night.

I got the Duramycin because I couldnt find Corid anywhere. Do I have to order it? I was just figuring something is better then nothing. :(

Last edited:
Most feed stores sell it in the cattle medicines aisle. Corid is one brand, and there is also Ampromed and Amprol. Sulmet and Sulfadimethoxine (Dimethox) are sulfa drugs that treat the worst strains of coccidiosis. Are they showing any signs of improvement with the Duramycin 10 (tetracycline?) Can you post a picture of a typical runny dropping? Here is a link for Corid online, and it comes in both powder and liquid: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...dnwDbNVvpgagIg3NWR6Ls5eTgWHl-3nzwjxoCO7zw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom