I really need help! WARNING!!! GROSS PICTURES, I'm apologizing in advance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babsterh, Aug 12, 2014.

1. babsterh

babsterh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My BO came down with dry pox 4 weeks ago. I applied non-stinging iodine and the lesions seem to get a little better until the other girls started pecking her. I applied Blue Kote so that they would stop. I also isolated her. She continues to scratch the lesions with her feet re-opening the lesions. As you can see from the pictures there's a huge gap in her head, she continues to scratch. I have checked her for mites which she doesn't have. Any suggestions on how to get this sweet girl back to normal are more than welcome. She is eating and is on electrolytes in her water. Thanks so much!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, that's just awful! Could you give her a bath and rinse that out? This sounds crazy but maybe you could invent one of those collars they put on dogs or cats to prevent her from scratching? you could make one with a plastic lid, by cutting the middle out and putting it on her maybe?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would be using neosporin ointment on the wound after cleaning it well with Betadine once, and I would try to make a mitten over her claw to keep her from scratching the wound. You could wrap her foot like you had done bumblefoot surgery, then put a sock over it. Keep her in a cage with the other chickens for company, unless flies are a problem. In that case keep her inside because you don't want a maggot infestation. If the wound is infected, then I would use some antibiotics from the vet or feed store.

4. babsterh

babsterh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    Thank you both so much! I just ran out to the store, while I was gone she has gashed it again and now has a flap of skin hanging over her eye. I know I will have to remove this hanging flash when my husband gets home, I'll need another set of hands for this. This is just awful!! I think I will start her on anitbiotics...I have her on our screened in porch because there are flies in the coop. I might bring in another young hen to keep her company, they actually hang out together when she's free ranging. I think the sock idea is the way for us to go. I want her to keep eating and I think the cone might scare her too much. Thanks again, wish me (her) some luck! She needs a break from this dreadful situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by