1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i really need help with deciding wich chickens i should get

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ucheeco, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ucheeco

ucheeco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    i want a chicken that i no will not die through the winter does anyone no a type that will not die

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    all breeds of chickens will die.it could be from sickness varments accadents dogs.but you build a henhouse an run to keep them in.you do all tiy can to keep your birds safe.i have 5 hens that are 5yrs old.

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    There are several winter hardy chickens - to name a few Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Black Austrolops, and even the Americana's seem to do fine in colder climates. I live in Michigan and those are the chickens I ended up with after much research. My chicks are almost 4 weeks old, very healthy, and I didn't loose a one.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    ucheeco, It's important to know what part of the country you live in. If you could update your profile, so it lists the state you live in, it's easier when people try to answer your questions and help, the answer will vary depending on where you live.

Cold weather breeds need smaller comb size, like pea comb, rose comb, walnut comb, strawbeery comb, for example.

Single comb breeds will have a good chance of frostbite, which is very painful and can get really bad in areas that have sub-zero temps in winter.

bigzio

5. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, and Australorps are all good winter layers and are hardy.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

7. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
  8. ucheeco

ucheeco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    thanks everyone!!!!!

i looked at the rode island red, i really like them

9. waynaria

waynaria Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    australorp chickens r the way 2 go.. hardy and lay great eggs and a lot of them 4 that matter

actulally rhode island redsr good.. so r bon browns i have 2 of those and BOY>> THEY R HARDY

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  10. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    all chcikens could die over the winter, but if you want them to be "cuddly" i suggest bantams, you can get them at the mcmurray hatchery, you can get them now and they should be fully feathered by winter,, goodluck with your chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by