I really need help with make-shift incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok. So i sadly have to get rid of our roosters. So, its time to hatch!
    The incubator we have now is too small and isnt warm enough. Im going to make one! Would a plastic container work? I was thinking i could put tin foil in the bottom and shine a warm light in there, add some wire, a themometer, water, and... what else???? Any ideas?!?
    I really need help on what to do!! Hurry!! Im running outta time!!!

P.S: Is it okay to use eggs that were laid this morning?

EDIT: is 97 degrees allrught? I put the egg in yesterday!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    My 1st homemade incubator was a 10 gallon fish tank. I hatched lots of chicks, ducks & 2 geese in it. Todays eggs will be fine to incubate. someone correct me if i am wrong, but I believe the eggs will be fertile for up to a week. [​IMG]

Good luck... I got lots of good ideas from the learning center section.

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Agreed! ^^^

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    My advice is to buy an incubator at your local farm store or buy one online and have it shipped fast, it will save you time and possibly money. There are many links to building your own in this forum, just do a search.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Thanks, but those are too big and i dont have the supplies to make it. Could i make one out of a plastic vegetable container?

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Well eggs once fertile alway fertile, but hatch rate does start dropping after 10 days ,but even eggs storage 2 week or longer some will still hatch.

if storage in cool area and turned daily they last longer , than if storage in a warm and dry area.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How will you keep the temp fairly steady? I get small styrofoam coolers that medications come in from my vet. Maybe your vet would give you one and they would be very heat efficient. I put this cooler on top of some egg cartons so you could see the size in comparison.
    [​IMG]

This is one I made. I'm sure it's bigger than what you would like to build. I did not put a thermostat in it but am thinking about it. The light is on a dimmer switch and I use a 15 watt bulb so if the temperature goes up it won't go high enough to cook the eggs. Now I use it mainly as a hatcher.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I just want a very small incubator!!
    Is 96 degrees allright?

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It is a little cool, perfect temperature would be around 99 to 100 degrees. If the incubator runs cool the eggs may take an extra day or two before they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by