i really need help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by new breeder, Dec 9, 2013.

1. new breeder

new breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    hello, i have a problem ....

i try first time t hatch chicken(t hatch anything)

well i put inside 26 egg;s and after 2,5 days more eggs( i dint find the egg'a i want the first days)

now is the first 2hours of day 21, i have 5 chicks in the incubator and waiting .....tommorow start the 18th day so i have 2,5 days t take the old ones and lockdown the incubator again, but the old one that come out tommorow they need t stay 1 day inside of the incubator..... i really dont want t open the incubator for the humidity .......

i really need any help!!!!!!!!!! :)
    anyone t know or think about something, i dont know what t do :/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Chicks can stay in the incubator for up to a day, 24 hours, or perhaps a little longer. After that though, I'd remove them and stick them in the brooder with fresh food and water. The remaining eggs should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity. When you remove the chicks, remove them quickly and you can always add a little warm water to the incubator if need be. Warm water will instantly bring the humidity back up. Opening the incubator once won't hurt much. Just try to only do it once. I do it all the time if I have a staggered hatch like you do.

3. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece

its not mine, i borow it :p
    when i see that the most chicks come oute, before start the day 19 for the "new" egg's i will take out all the ready chicks , and i put inside new warm water :D

thanks!!!

4. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    how many days the chick can live in the incubator without food or water?

5. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    2-3 days. Don't open the incubator to take them out if any other eggs have pipped.

6. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    because of the humidity?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The chicks absorb the yolk before they hatch. They can live off that for three days or sometimes more, so they don’t have to eat or drink for that long. That’s why they can be shipped in the mail. They live off of the yolk for that long. So don’t panic about having to take them out really quick.

What you are going through is why I don’t like a staggered hatch without a separate incubator to use as a hatcher. Just too much stress. What I suggest is that you wait until this first hatch is over then remove those chicks. Then do that for the next hatches.

There is a difference in what might possibly happen and what will absolutely happen each and every 100% of the time. If an egg has pipped, it is possible that the chick inside can be shrink-wrapped if the humidity drops in the incubator. If the egg has not pipped, opening the incubator is not a problem. But it is not guaranteed that you will shrink-wrap every egg that has pipped if you open the incubator.

I did shrink-wrap a chick by opening the incubator one time. But there are several times I did not shrink wrap chicks that had already pipped when I opened the incubator. It is something that might possibly happen, not something that absolutely will each time.

You are in a situation that you have to deal with, getting that first round of chicks out. When they have all hatched, take them out. It’s not the ideal situation but it is the best you can do in the situation you are in right now. You can’t do any better than the best you can do.

8. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece

thanks i was really panic but now i am fine :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by