I really need some hlep!!! Do my hens have lice????

jrhodes

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Central Texas
I think my hens may have lice. They have little black specks all over ther head and beaks. How do I treat this?
They have not layed a single egg in 2 months. They went through a molt earlier. Does lice affect their egg laying. Thanks so much for your help!!!!

From what you described it sounds like they may have some bugs, yes. Some of them to show up as black spots. If you haven't already you should dust the chickens, their coop, bedding, everything with Sevin dust or DE (Diatomaceous Earth). You can shift the ones on their faces with a little sunflower oil. Just watch out for their nostrils and eyes and make sure you get into all the folds and awkward little spots.

A serious lice/mite/flea infestation can stop them laying yes. But some hens do take long to recover from molting and the short days and few daylight hours is also slowing and stopping production. So it may be that. Dust them anyway, to be on the safe side.

Here's a good article on mites etc if you want to learn more about them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

Good luck!

You are welcome
smile.png
Hope your hens lay some eggs for you soon!

From what you described it sounds like they may have some bugs, yes. Some of them to show up as black spots. If you haven't already you should dust the chickens, their coop, bedding, everything with Sevin dust or DE (Diatomaceous Earth). You can shift the ones on their faces with a little sunflower oil. Just watch out for their nostrils and eyes and make sure you get into all the folds and awkward little spots.

A serious lice/mite/flea infestation can stop them laying yes. But some hens do take long to recover from molting and the short days and few daylight hours is also slowing and stopping production. So it may be that. Dust them anyway, to be on the safe side.

Here's a good article on mites etc if you want to learn more about them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

Good luck!

x2

Coconut oil also works well on their faces. :)

Sumi,

I didn't know until Fred's Hens mentioned it, but Sevin has been banned for use on poultry.

I use wood ash to dust my birds for any parasites. Also provide a dust bath pool year round for them to self administer (70% black earth 25% wood ash 5% poop (lol)).

A good dusting with Diatamaceous earth will help control that. I keep a tub full buried at ground level for then them to bath in as they want. They also eat it (it's food-grade) which also helps with intestinal parasites. (I learned that on this site)

(edit: I also use it on my three German Shepherds for flea and tic control)

Last edited:
this link is to a all natural product (Cedar Oil) that we use on our farm anytime bugs are a problem. had a mite outbreak a few months ago & sprayed the coop & yard....poof....gone...the great thing is it wont harm the good insects.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATURES-DEF...441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f18498e81
Cedar is toxic to chickens.

It says right on the warnings on the product not to use around
  • pet reptiles, rabbits, pet mice, pet rats, ferrets, guinea pigs, or exotic birds.

Back
Top Bottom