I really need some hlep!!! Do my hens have lice????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jrhodes, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jrhodes

jrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I think my hens may have lice. They have little black specks all over ther head and beaks. How do I treat this?
    They have not layed a single egg in 2 months. They went through a molt earlier. Does lice affect their egg laying. Thanks so much for your help!!!!

2. jrhodes

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    oops I meant mites. I work at a school, so I guess I had lice on my mind. LOL

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    From what you described it sounds like they may have some bugs, yes. Some of them to show up as black spots. If you haven't already you should dust the chickens, their coop, bedding, everything with Sevin dust or DE (Diatomaceous Earth). You can shift the ones on their faces with a little sunflower oil. Just watch out for their nostrils and eyes and make sure you get into all the folds and awkward little spots.

A serious lice/mite/flea infestation can stop them laying yes. But some hens do take long to recover from molting and the short days and few daylight hours is also slowing and stopping production. So it may be that. Dust them anyway, to be on the safe side.

Here's a good article on mites etc if you want to learn more about them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

Good luck!

4. jrhodes

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    This has been very helpful! Thank you so much for this information!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You are welcome [​IMG] Hope your hens lay some eggs for you soon!

6. x2

Coconut oil also works well on their faces. :)

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sumi,

I didn't know until Fred's Hens mentioned it, but Sevin has been banned for use on poultry.

I use wood ash to dust my birds for any parasites. Also provide a dust bath pool year round for them to self administer (70% black earth 25% wood ash 5% poop (lol)).

[​IMG]

8. Gelotri

Gelotri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    A good dusting with Diatamaceous earth will help control that. I keep a tub full buried at ground level for then them to bath in as they want. They also eat it (it's food-grade) which also helps with intestinal parasites. (I learned that on this site)

(edit: I also use it on my three German Shepherds for flea and tic control)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. Rocky Hill

Rocky Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    North Central Arkansas
  10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Cedar is toxic to chickens.

It says right on the warnings on the product not to use around
    • [SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff0010][B][COLOR=#ff0000]pet reptiles, rabbits, pet mice, pet rats, ferrets, guinea pigs, or exotic birds.[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by