I really need to know what these are...please help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mags2009, Jul 7, 2010.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Just wondered what these are, roos or hens. The first is a splash Ameracauna. I think it is a hen...[​IMG] Here is another view:[​IMG] This supposed to be a Blue Ameracauna...don't know if it is, because it's black, with green tinges, like a black copper, but has the muffs, and lightly feathered feet. Also: Roo or hen?[​IMG][​IMG]. This grey one is a blue ameracauna, roo or hen? [​IMG][​IMG]. These Black Coppers are pretty easy. Roo and hen, right?[​IMG] Welsummer, hen? [​IMG]
    Thanks for any info you have. I really would like to know if it is possible to tell gender yet, as I will have to get rid of the roos.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Splash Pullet
    Black Pullet
    Blue Cockeral
    Cockeral on left, pullet on right
    Welsummer pullet

3. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    i say all hen exp for the copper left

4. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Oh oh, we have differences!! So, the Blue may be a roo? Also, the (Black) which is really a Blue ameracuana...why is it black? with feathered legs? Any ideas? And that is a pullet?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The 2nd one is black, and pure ameraucana's should NOT have feathered shanks.

Here are 2 of my pure black ameraucana's.
    [​IMG]

6. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    The last pic is a welsummer and a pullet...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  7. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I say all pullets apart from the obvious boy in second last pic.

[​IMG]

8. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Your blue pullet is black because blue does not breed true. When you breed two blues together you will get 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash. If you were to breed this hen to another blue it changes the percentages but I can't remember to what - sorry. There are a bunch of threads in the genetics section that cover blue genes and how they pair up.

The one that looks like a blue has a pretty wide comb so I'm thinking it's a roo while the rest of your Amers look like girls. The only other roo I see is the Black Copper.

ETA How old are your birds? I might change my mind on your blue one, if it's old enough it could be a pullet, there are no pointed hackle feathers...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  9. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Your blue pullet is black because blue does not breed true. When you breed two blues together you will get 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash. If you were to breed this hen to another blue it changes the percentages but I can't remember to what - sorry. There are a bunch of threads in the genetics section that cover blue genes and how they pair up.

The one that looks like a blue has a pretty wide comb so I'm thinking it's a roo while the rest of your Amers look like girls. The only other roo I see is the Black Copper.

ETA How old are your birds? I might change my mind on your blue one, if it's old enough it could be a pullet, there are no pointed hackle feathers...

The are 8 weeks old now. I think the true BLUE is a cockeral also, just because it has the "3 rows" on the comb. I if they have three rows that mean roo. ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by