I really need your help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ForeverFree, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    I have a cockerel, and he's starting to crow louder and louder.
    His crow is almost perfect and now, even though the windows are shut, I can hear him.
    I really really REALLY don't want to get rid of him, but as I looked over at the neighbor's house, their windows were open.
    The husband is okay with a rooster, he said he likes the sound of it in the morning, but the wife, not so much.
    I'm scared we're going to have to get rid of him, is there anything I can do to stop his crowing? Even just for 2 or 3 more hours?
    I've looked it up on the internet and people have said that you need to "black out" your coop, but we don't have a coop yet!
    What can I do!?

2. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Sadly...he is a rooster and he is gonna crow.
    You might try to deaden the sound in the coop,,,,,but.....that may be hard to do.
    You may end up having to re-home the rooster. I hope it works out for you.

Quote:

3. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Cockadoodledon't :

Sadly...he is a rooster and he is gonna crow.
    You might try to deaden the sound in the coop,,,,,but.....that may be hard to do.
    You may end up having to re-home the rooster. I hope it works out for you.

Quote:
    Yeah, I understand that.
    I just thought there was something that we could do quickly... Guess not [​IMG]
    But, we love this little guy so much, we may move to an actual farm, with acres of land, so he can crow and crow as much as his little heart desires. [​IMG]

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Get a dog crate and black it out. Put him in there at night and keep it in a dark area with a comfortable temperature. He will still crow if something catches his eye (or ear) and of course, he will crow when you let him out, but maybe it will buy you a little time to convert the neighbor lady. Maybe bribe her with some fresh eggs....

5. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Quote:Great idea! Thank you!
    Do you think it would work if I kept him in the garage and just opened a window so he could crow inside the house once it's time to?
    Then he can go back out with his girls?

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My roos crow all day and at night if I go out with the flashlight! I was just hoping that holding off till later in the day would help. Sorry, roosters crow, especially if they're happy. The lower order roos I have crow less, but they all crow, all day, all the time.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Someone here used a zip tie on his roo's neck to stifle the crow. What he did was put the zip tie on there loosely, then gradually tightened it a few notches at a time till it was just tight enough that it stifled the crow. The boy could still crow, he just couldn't expand his neck enough to make it really loud. He said that there was still room to put a finger or two between the zip tie and the neck.

I plan on trying this when mine finally gets his crowing perfected. Which, at his current rate, may be never [​IMG]

8. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:Oooh thats interesting! where on his neck would it have to sit...upper part? or would it just slip down to the lower part of the neck anyways.?
    You would have to keep an eye on them so they wouldnt get caught up on anything.

9. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am not quite sure I would tie something around the neck like that. I would worry he would get caught up on something and strangle himself???
    Yeah, mine crow all day long too. But a dark area can help but no guarentee to stop it.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by