I really want a friendly rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    My current rooster is grating on me. He's elusive, shy, not that interested in anything but mating the hens.

He's colorful, but I want more out of my rooster.

Now he DOESN'T chase anyone, he is afraid of people and all animals. In fact a neighbors dog got in the yard and he disappeared around the corner of the house while a wynadotte bok'd to get my attention. I shoo'ed the dog away, and the hens all gathered around the rooster... what the heck did he do but make a run for it and leave the hens in his wake?

I don't think he has much personality.

I might be unnecessarily unhappy, but I'd like a different rooster.

Thoughts?

2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Buff Orpington

Best Roo I ever had. Called his girls when he found food. Delivered food for the chicks. Alerted when there was a hawk overhead. Gentle with the ladies. Good people chicken. ETC.

I loved that roo.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have to ask his age? If he's not that old, he's still working on being a MAN...you might give him a little more time.

Quote:

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed.
    Also, I want a rooster that is good to my hens and protective of them (this comes with age). Being friendly towards me or any other human is not necessary; so long as he's not aggressive toward us. Keeping his distance is a good thing, IMO.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have a couple of friendly roos that will eat out of your hand,,, if you're close to me by El Paso or something let me know. One is a big red Turken, and the other is one of Nugget's grandkids.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ohhhhhhhh, I want the turken! But you have to bring him to me. [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Ohhhhhhhh, I want the turken! But you have to bring him to me. [​IMG]

I wish I could, he needs a good home with some ladies of his own, he lost all of his.

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Agreed.
    Also, I want a rooster that is good to my hens and protective of them (this comes with age). Being friendly towards me or any other human is not necessary; so long as he's not aggressive toward us. Keeping his distance is a good thing, IMO.

Yes, he sounds young.

9. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I really don't know how old he is. He was given to use as were his two hens by our neighbors. The hens were laying already, so I assume he's at least "that" old.

10. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Give him some time to mature...just like men, some take a little longer to mature. As far as good roosters go, I recommend getting a Brahma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by