I really want to know what you all think...(duplex comb phoenix)

wclawrence

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Paulding County Georgia
I really want to know what you all think about my phoenix. They are not standard showtype phoenix, but I really like them. I hope people like these. Because I have about seven roosters, and need to place some of them out if anyone wants to breed V-comb, or buttercup-type comb phoenix.
The birds I started with were phoenix/ grey junglefowl hybrids, which were bred back to phoenix, and then the split comb came out. when I bred that to a pea combed ceylon junglefowl hybrid, I got a few with 'V' shaped combs. I really do not know what all can come from it, but I am attaching a picture of the best looking little rooster.
I have not introduced rose comb to this mutation. Yet. I plan to.

Edited to add: I got the F2 hybrids from my good friend Toni-Marie Astin. I have to give credit where credit is due.

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awesome. I'm sure you might find someone else who'd be interested to help with the breeding (possible). I myself am not interested in Phoenix (the tail would be too much of a problem in the winter here), but I know that there are many Phoenix enthusiasts out there.

Thanks! It will be easy to breed for. I already know that it is co-dominant. So if someone want to breed these, they could start with as little as one rooster and breed him to a few of their own phoenix, then breed the half-mate offsprings that express the gene, back to each other, etc. Two roosters would be even better.

This year I am breeding one of hens which is pure for the duplex gene to a rooster that is a blend of onagadori, totenko, and ohiki. He is young but here is a picture of the pair.
IMG_3085-1.jpg

IMG_3082-1.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

I also got a weird comb come out of the brother of this hen, when I bred him to a hen out of my Grey JF x Phoenix rooster.
It is a straight comb, with a huge knob next to it....
IMG_3220.jpg

Very interesting, I love the comb on the hen. I would also like to see pics of the chicks comb as it gets older.

Quote:
Well really I am mixing two types. The Grey Junglefowl and the longtail. But I got a mutation (the duplex gene) when I crossed two birds that were 1/4 junglefowl. So I bred and selected for that gene and got blue legged birds, and now a friend gave me the mixed rooster, and since he is from longtails, and he is yellow legged, and he has a good size comb for a bird his age and that a bigger comb would show off the duplex gene even better, and I like green legged birds, why not make this cross and raise me some green legged duplex longtails? So that was the thought process. Oh and this rooster is carrying recessive white.

ETA;

And the bengal is where the first mutation came from, and I like the way they act and have a natural tendency to run from predators, etc. So that is why I put the duplex rooster over the bengal hens.
And their color is magnificent.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well really I am mixing two types. The Grey Junglefowl and the longtail. But I got a mutation (the duplex gene) when I crossed two birds that were 1/4 junglefowl. So I bred and selected for that gene and got blue legged birds, and now a friend gave me the mixed rooster, and since he is from longtails, and he is yellow legged, and he has a good size comb for a bird his age and that a bigger comb would show off the duplex gene even better, and I like green legged birds, why not make this cross and raise me some green legged duplex longtails? So that was the thought process. Oh and this rooster is carrying recessive white.

ETA;

And the bengal is where the first mutation came from, and I like the way they act and have a natural tendency to run from predators, etc. So that is why I put the duplex rooster over the bengal hens.
And their color is magnificent.

Makes sense!
big_smile.png
Do you have more pics?

I need to take more pictures of the duplex birds. I have two roosters and a hen that I haven't even taken pictures of.
One thing I want to work on is the number of points on the comb. Adding the Grey junglefowl will do that, as most chickens have around 5 to 7 points on the comb, but a Grey Junglefowl has as many as 18.

Back
Top Bottom