I REALLY wanted a blue egg layer!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by undergroundchickens, Aug 20, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I just had my last Easter Egger lay her first egg and both of my girls lay a greenish/khaki colored egg. [​IMG] I REALLY wanted some blue egg layers. When I purchased these girls from the store they were sold as americanas. [​IMG] Is there an online hatchery that I can order 100% true americanas from that will lay blue eggs? I think I can add two more girls without overloading the hen house and run. I sure wish EE's were not sold deceptively as Americanas. [​IMG] Don't get me wrong...I love my EE girls...just wanted blue eggs! [​IMG]

Any advice on how to get two true blue egg layers?

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Join the club. My first "Ameraucana" is a White Leghorn. White eggs!! My second "Ameraucana" is an EE, who isn't laying yet. Buy some chicks or hatching eggs from someone on here who has good pictures of their own birds and eggs. I plan on doing this in the spring.

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I bought eggs from a local breeder, and they were very blue eggs! Definitely Ameraucanas as advertised! I ended up with 3 pullets (I think -- they're over a month old and there is no sign of any comb growth...). Can't wait for them to get old enough to lay!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ameraucanas (or Americanas) sold through hatcheries are almost always Easter Eggers and can lay anything from a green to a brown egg. Three of my hatchery ameraucanas lay green eggs and one lays a brown egg.
    If you want a TRUE honest to goodness ameraucana, you need to get eggs or chicks from a breeder. There are a ton of us on BYC that breed true ameraucanas. Check out the ameraucana thread and you will find a ton of people to help you out. You can also go through the Ameraucana Breeder's Club and check out their breeders list.

You also need to remember that "blue" is a relative term. In my head the blue was going to be really blue. What ended up happening was an egg with a green tint to the blue. They are GORGEOUS, but they are more teal to me than blue. The one that I have that lays a true BLUE actually lays a somewhat pastel blue color. Blue is all in the eye of the beholder. [​IMG]

Good luck! I'd offer to send you eggs, but my girls are on strike at the moment since it is so blasted hot. You might try Pips&Peeps though. I got some of mine through her and they are great birds. She did an awesome job packing and I had great hatch rates from her eggs. I strongly recommend her!

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow I must have lucked out! Bought 6 little black day old chicks at the sale barn for .50 each... one turned out to have a beard and layed little blue/green eggs! [​IMG] Have hatched several of these and now have 4 bearded, green/blue egg layers! [​IMG] God is good!

Now I want more... I'll do as recommended on BYC and buy fertile eggs from someone on here and put under a broody hen! [​IMG]

6. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Thanks for the tips CityGirlintheCountry. I will have to look into seeing if I can order some chicks or pullets (or maybe even eggs but I would have to purchase a bator) from one of the closer members.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  7. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I just got done checking out Pips&Peeps auctions and she doesn't sell to Utah! [​IMG]

8. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    just dont wash the poop off of them and sell them as camouflage eggs

9. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. undergroundchickens

Apr 13, 2010