I really wish I had a broody hen...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by maplesky7, Apr 27, 2009.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Just like this one.

[​IMG]

me,
    g

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    AAAAHHHHh....how adorable! I want one too.!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I just made that my background. TOO CUTE!!!!

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    [​IMG] I still laugh every time I see that pic. My poor broody her egg went bad on her [​IMG] She wanted to be a mama so bad. I bet she would take a puppy to be her chickie if only the landlord would fall for a puppy really hatched under a hen [​IMG]

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I think it looks like there are 2 puppies...by the positioning of it...one's laying on top of the other...don't you think?

...and then poor chicky is left out in the cold.

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Cute picture, but get real. As far as I know, dogs associate chickens with meat and feather ripping rather than with cuddles. My dog is a prime example of this.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Puppies raised with chickens will protext them unless you have a breed of retriever.

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I've got to adult shepards mixes who never touch or bother the chickens.

I've had ferrets and a dove that climbed on the dogs and were essentially my training aids...so when I got chickens...they knew they better "be nice." And I've been fortunate enough to never have a problem.

When my old shepard female passes and I decide to get a puppy...well, I can see where thorough training will have to be had...because I can see where a playful puppy might think it fun to chase...but with training, I expect a good dog like the ones I've got.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Not all dogs are bad. I have a dog that protects them like they are her own puppies. If I happen to pick a chicken up and it sqwaks she comes racing over to make sure I am not hurting her "babies". My other dog on the other hand, well he is a Golden Retriever and has champion hunting bloodlines. He won't hurt them as long as he is on a leash and I say "Leave It!" but I would never trust him off- leash around the birds since he wants to do what comes natural to him and retrieve them. It's not his fault. I have had him for 8 years and have only had chickens a year.

[​IMG] Taking care of her "puppies"

10. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    In fact, just last night I had the 2 little ducks out with my dogs and went in the house and when I came out the dog was laying against the back door and the 2 ducks were sitting less than 3 feet next to him, next to a puddle.

Never was concerned once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by