I realy messed up,I moved my eggs during the hatching phase....ALOT

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amygirl, May 22, 2010.

1. amygirl

amygirl In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    I didnt know I was supposed to leave them alone, and I didnt know that the humidity needed to be higher at hatch, and I just now adjusted the humidity and moved them.They are all chirping and breaking the shells but its been 14 hours and I did alot of moving them around..Im such a stupidSTUPID

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They'll probably be fine. They're not nearly as fragile as people make them out to be. If you're worried about the humidity you can add a wet paper towel to bring it up. I have them hatch in the incubator instead of the hatcher sometimes b/c I forget to move them and they still do just fine.

3. amygirl

amygirl In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Now the humidity is fine, but Im afraid that they are dried up,because its been 14 hours and no more shell breakage, but lots of PEEPS PEEPING

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    They'll probably be out by tonight. How much of the shells are broken away? Just a little bit, or big holes? Can you see exposed membrane?

5. amygirl

amygirl In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    my family lives in Galesburg, is that near you...Based on some other threads and this one, I did peel away some of the broken shell and I have lots of activity and peeping and pecking.The one I was the most worried about, I pulled enough of the shell off to allow it to unfurl in my hand.Otherwise its membrane had become so hard I do nt know if it would have made it.It seems to be doing very well and is very strong.I apericiate all of yalls interest and help

6. amygirl

amygirl In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Results......drum roll plz............
    started with 13 eggs in the Brinsea octogon 20 advance incubator. We had 10 hatch perfectly (with a little help from us), 1 still incubating on day 23 no pips, 1 died in the shell and 1 hatched not doing very well (has not stood up yet).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by