I REFUSE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mtnhomechick, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    OK........so I have a hen that has a sprained leg. She's been in the house for three days and today we put her out ( so she doesn't forget she's a chicken ) and when we came home she was on the coop floor cause she apparently can't make it up to the perch.

We brought her back in and put her in the rabbit hutch she's been sleeping in for three nights.

I swear she was crying. So I start looking on MY PET CHICKEN for a diaper. 22.00 plus shipping. What's up with that. This is ridicuous in this economy.

I looked at another thread yesterday with a diagram on how to make these but I can't figure this out.

I REALLY don't want to put her down. But, I refuse to spend that kind of money on a chicken diaper..............Help Please for this simple mind.

Mary

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Can you put another hen in with her so she is not so lonely. then when introducing back into the flock, it seems to work better with two.

Good luck with the infirmary, been there done that.

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    She's not acting lonely.........just injured. I'd like to let her have range in the house. But HOW?

4. ChicknJ

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Can you confine her with baby gates or laundry baskets to a small area, maybe tiled area? I use a large dog crate in a corner of my kitchen, lined with paper for my infirmery. I have brought another chicken in to keep them company.

They get royal treatment for a few days, or whatever it takes to heal. Then when I re-introduce, it seems to go better.

I have one hen (appropriately named "scalpy" that lived in the house for almost 2 weeks after a serious injury. I did bring another pullet in with her after a few days. These girls were spoiled rotten while they were in here , and still to this day, these two girls will walk in the house like they own it if the door is left open. [​IMG]

Those diaper things were just over the top for me, I just kept changing papers......frequently

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yeah..maybe a small area with tile or vinyl flooring...with puppy pads?...you are awesome for not giving up on her!..[​IMG]...i am sure someone will chime in and help you with the diaper thing...good luck!...

6. ChicknJ

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    I forgot, I used an infant onesy on a hen that had an injured wing. She wouldn't stop picking it so, I just slid the onesy on and snapped only two of the bottom snaps, it spread over her fluffy butt and she poo-ed through it... I have to try to find the pic, it was funny
    The reason I say this, Is maybe you can fashion some type of diaper for her out of something like that

Good luck, sprains don't usually last too long, Is there a ramp (with steps) in the coop for her ?

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I will go get a onesy tomorrow. I will also bring another hen in with her.

Thanks for the advice......makes sense to me.

Mary

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If you still want to buy a diaper try chickendiapers.com. About half the price and custom made. Haven't gotten mine yet though so I can't comment beyond that.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Have you checked the bottom of her feet for bumblefoot? It could be that this is what is causing her pain....just a thought...

10. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Yes, I did check for that and thanks for asking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by