I rehomed 4 of them :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandelyn, May 13, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    So.. I was smart enough to realize that space would ultimately be an issue, so I sat out there and listened to them and did my best to tell gender so I could keep all the girls. A friend of mine has a big pond and a duck house left over from 4-H years, so the extras went down to Kentucky yesterday.

It was hard! Listening to them cry when I separated them, listening to them cry in the cage when they were put in the car, listening to the ones left cry for the older ones who are gone... so sad! But it needed to be done. I sent away the Khaki Campbell, Blue Swedish, and 2 Pekins. Leaving me with 5. There are 4 eggs developing well in the incubator, so I'll need to do it again at some point, and make my final selection of 6 total, hopefully 2 boys and 4 girls.

But the timing was right. The weather changed to hot and humid, so with the added space, the basement ducks were right at 3 weeks old and ready to go outside.

There were 2 ducks I wasn't sure about with gender. I really did sit down and say "Final answer? You sure you don't have a quack in you? Alright, off you go". I was going to send the wild type Mallard too, but it threw such a fit and cried so pathetically, I pulled it out and put it back with the others. I'm such a sucker. I think it's a boy too, so when I know for sure on gender and my others hatch and are ready to go outside, I'll have to sell it as a pair with one of the Mallard crosses. Or something.

Bitter sweet news on the chicken end of things too. I kept saying "When the babies start laying, 4 hens have to go so I can put those 3 with the big girls". The 3 pullets live with the ducks, since there's ample room right now for that and not so much on the chicken side. I don't want to fool with hen pecking, so I strategically housed everyone based on who gets along with who best.

Yesterday I got my first tiny little pullet sized Maran egg. Beautiful little egg! But it means it's about time to send the 4 off to new homes and move the 3 over. I'm going to sell the Australorp, new Hampshire Red, and the 2 White Face Black Spanish. Leaving me with 2 Red Star, 2 Maran, and 1 Golden Lakenvelder. 5 chickens, 5 ducks. For the time being anyways.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, I feel your pain! I don't have any ducks, but I have to limit my number of chickens because I have an 8x12 hen house, and I don't want them to be over crowded, especially during the winter months when they're stuck inside alot.

So I have 29 chickens now, and I'm literally going to cut my numbers in half. And that means my favorite older hens have to go......I've been mulling over who goes and who stays for a week now......Sooooo difficult. I've gotta get everything figured out by the end of summer.......

I've hatched some really beautiful breeds. Right now I have a lavendar Orpington chick, and a split Isabel orpington chick that are just adoreable. I've got two olive eggers, three polish bantams 2 barred, one frizzle white, three buckeye chicks.....Don't know the sex of any of those yet.......

Gosh it's hard! Not to mention the fact that I need to keep those numbers down because of the cost of feed!

Hang in there! [​IMG]

3. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yeah I had an 8x10 coop, but with the ducks, we split it down the middle into 5 x 8 for each side. I can't have the run space I'd like to have, so the chickens have 8x10 and the ducks have a 10x10. We fenced around the whole thing, so we can let them out into that periodically, and then they also get supervised free range in the big yard. But I needed to keep everything neat, tidy, and compact so that the neighbors don't go 'What the..." and call someone... just in case, you know? They're legal, all the way up until someone complains. Don't want to push my luck by over building, and definitely no over crowding.

It was easy selecting my chickens though, the two older hens hate me, and are reaching the end of their laying. The other are flighty and hate me too. The remaining 5 are all super tame and will hang out with me. I won't be adding anymore chickens. I may switch to ducks entirely in the next 3 years. We'll see.

But that goofy Splash Maran, I could never sell her or eat her. She's too darn friendly and goofy. She doesn't have a care in the world and will sit on my lap forever. And she plays, scoots after the others with her head down, shoots up into the air randomly. She's sweet to the ducks, which is a bonus.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It's easy to get rid of the chickens that aren't friendly.....I have one hen, she's a Cream Brabanter--very exotic looking with a crest....Anyhow, she is sooo funny. She will come up to me and look at me, and if I don't pick her up, she will fly up onto my head. She truly thinks she's a lap chicken. Demands her attention! And she has the funniest SQUAWK! noise that she makes each time I pick her up! Silly girl.....She's staying. Then Daisy, my first chicken ever......She's super sweet and chatters to me and I don't know if I can let her go.......

Oh decisions......LOL

Take care!

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I want to see a picture of your goofy splash [​IMG] She sounds adorable!

6. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    She's much fluffier and bigger than this now, but still the same goofy bird as then.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by