I relocated a broody last night, and it didn't go so well...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by miss_thenorth, Jun 13, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    ust to backtrack, I had a broody who laid her eggs in a rubbermaid storage container that we had in the rafters of the barn. She had been sitting on them up there since June 1. I put together a little nursery, and moved her there last night.

Of course, she wouldn't sit on the eggs in there, so I closed her in to the nexting box we set up for her, so she didn't have a choice but to sit on the eggs.

I will have to let her out so she can get a drink and food, so my question is, after i let her out, do you think she will go back on the eggs?

the box where she is in doesn't have room for me to put food and water in with her.

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think thats a question anyone can answer. I'm sorry to say she either will or she wont not much you can do about it. I know not the answer you were looking for and so not helpful!! Sorry good luck keep us posted.

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    It's hard to tell. Sometimes I can move broodies,sometimes not. Let her out and if she doesn't go back on her own,you'll have to pen her again. Good luck.

4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    yay!!I unlocked her, and she staying on the nest. She's sitting on 6 eggs.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm glad she's staying for you. I didn't move Charlotte out of the wheelbarrow because I was worried about that so she hatched there and then I moved her to a pen. I'm just not brave enough to try that.

6. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Congrats!! you got lucky!!

7. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:I remember you asking about that. I had no choice. She was up in the rafters, in a container, with no bedding, and you could hear the eggs rolling all over the place when whe was turning them. When I moved her, two eggs had alreedy broken, so i had to get her down--plus with the heat, I can imagine how hot it was up there. so far she is staying, and she is in the 'nursery 'with another mom and her two chicks. hopefully the hatch turns out.

i also wanted her in with the other mom so they could get used to each other before these eggs hatched.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by