I rescued 12 banties today! (UPDATED w/MOAR pics!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Overeasyplz, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I have always liked banties, their miniscule voices are cute and their tenacity for life renowned. But today I witnessed this little fighting spirit in a tiny flock of twelve. A farmer I know came in to the store today, and I asked him how his chickens were doing. He said he didn't know, he heard them crowing and assumed they were still alive. I thought that was a weird answer and I asked him why. He said he was tired of feeding them and hadn't fed them for a while like a couple months. So I asked if I could have them, I have lots of feed and he let me come over and get them. I really think he was pulling my leg, they weren't too skinny and there was feed in one of the feeders, but still. Come on, it's a terrible thing to starve! They were all together, perched on a crushed wire cage in the snow. They were fairly easy to catch as they didn't like to walk in the snow, and it was so cold, most of them let me just pick them up without much of a cluck or a struggle.
    I now know my eggs WILL hatch because all my spare cages are used up now with bunnies and chickens, and I had better start planning on building some kind of banty-house. There are seven hens and five roos. There is even a mille fluer! She is my favorite. There are two aracauna hens with muffs and two of the red roos look alike. About half have feathered feet. There is a bit of frostbite on some of the combs so I vasolined everybody. I am planning on worming them tomorrow. They are happliy digging in the straw I gave them in my largest rabbit cage, but it is kinda crowded even if they are banties so I might have to either divy them up or kick the two rabbit does out of their large hutch- run and move all the birds in there. Haven't decided yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    When I put food in there for them, they dived in. So I wonder if they did get much to eat for the last couple months. Farmer said they ate hay and dug around in the horse pen. Maybe they were scavenging, I don't know for sure. But they were so happy to get their own food that the little rosecomb roo on the left of all three pics crowed and crowed. Cute little things! I have no idea what I am gonna do with five roos but after what they've been through I surely cannot eat them. Can they all live together? I think banties are more social than regular chickens. Anyway, thanks for reading my story!
    P.S. if you see a breed you recognize shout out to me! I love to show my kids the birds and tell em what they are!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nice Golden Laced Sebright!! LUCKY!!

ETA: I think I see a dark brahma too!! [​IMG] (or is it a Silver Pencilled Rock?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  3. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    ooo, which one is that? the roo on the right of the first pic? He has a neat tail, it has two long pointy-tailfeathers and the rest hang down. I thought he was pretty special, but they all are really sweet. Thank you!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I deff see a dark brahma in there-she looks just like mine!!! COngrats and your awesome for taking them I would have too! What is wrong with people seriously! I know its very easy to take care of chickens in SPring summer and Fall with free ranging-to an extent-but for goodness sakes feed those poor babies and give them shelter!

This is my dark bantam brahma [​IMG]

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    PRettty Birds :)::
    Love the sebright too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    thank god for you!!!!!!!!!!! i love stories like this minus the jerk who didn't feed them. They are lucky to have you!!!!

7. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:Yes, there is the tiniest hen, she looks just like this one! She is incredibly friendly too. They are all such sweet little birds, it's a happy christmas for them, I have no skinny animals [​IMG]

8. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Pretty Birds! In the last picture it looks like you have a Splash Cochin hen ( the one in front of the mille fleur d'uccle)
    The 1st pic the black and gold one on the left is a Golden Sebright and the one on the right looks to be a mix [​IMG]

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oooh, nice! Lucky birds AND lucky you, as it looks like you ended up with an attractive dozen! [​IMG] Bantams are the best!

10. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Some more pics of my new diminutive flock!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You can see the splash hen's feets areun- feathered. I think she is the amerucana. I will take more pics of each one to show off tomorrow!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by