I rescued 2 roosters and a hen about a month ago....

Skaterchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 22, 2010
Northern Illinois
.....From the foreclosed outdoor kids camp adjacent to my neighborhood. They were hungry and thin so I converted my shed into a coop. We have been doing pretty good and learning as I go.
Yesterday, another chicken (possible rooster) showed up. He/she is in a pretty sad state. Most of the feathers from around the neck are missing. My main concern is that the top beak is hanging by a thread. He/She seems to do OK eating. As a matter of fact she has not stopped eating since she arrived.
I tried her in the Coop but the roosters attacked him/her and it has no way of defending itself with the beak the way it is.

Any advice on how to help with the beak would be appreciated.

I may end up building a smaller solo coop for him/her.

chickens are very hard to mix I have trouble with my bantam rooster so I keep him in a separete hutch
roll.png

Can you post a picture of the beak? If, as you say, it is hanging by a thread, it might be best to nip it off. Not an expert here on beak issues, but others are. If she is eating and drinking okay, then that is the most important thing. Probably best to keep her separate for now, if for no other reason than to ensure no diseases are passed to your existing flock. Integration should be a very slow process in any case.

You sound like a very kind and compassionate person for taking on all of these neglected birds. Those are some lucky birds that found you.

Quote:
Ditto. I would think taking the beak off might be best. Watch for signs of infection. I knew a parrot one time, a yellow nape amazon, that lost its top beak in a most bizarre accident. It did fine with the beak gone, but had to have a crumble type feed from then on out. So if I were you, I'd stick with or buy a crumble feed for this bird, not pellets.
Blessings to you for caring for these birds that needed you. Also, welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Thanks for the help. I will try to get a picture of the beak up tomorrow. I have been adding a little water to the feed and that seems to make it easier for him to grab.

Getting a good picture of the beak proved a more difficult task than I anticipated. He's beat up......but quick!
smile.png
This picture is probably not helpful at all
sad.png

I guess it's not exactly "by a thread" but the whole right side is detatched. And of course I only managed to get a picture from the left. His right eye is only half open. Can I assume this is a rooster? He has no spurs if that helps.

002.jpg

Poor thing. I wonder if his beak was immobilized for sometime, if it may heal where it is torn away. But of course, he needs it to eat, unless he could be fed with a syringe. Not likely I suppose.

I wonder if someone was using him for fighting. Or maybe a predator attacked. I don't really see a comb in the picture but maybe that was torn off also. You hate to speculate on what horror caused him this misery. My hat is off to you for taking care of them.

awww poor baby.thank goodness for you!!!! im not sure if its a roo from that pic,but maybe someone else can tell.its better if you can get a pic of the top of his lower back so we can see the feathers next to his tail feathers.hard also to see how bad his beak is.maybe try for a better pic tomorrow.i hope he/she does ok.
fl.gif

I have to assume it was an encounter with a fox or a dog. He and the others had been living in the woods for several months if not longer. He is very friendly and follows us around in the yard like a lost puppy. I think his comb may have been lost in the attack. The other roosters are not happy with his presence in the yard and have proceeded to drive my neighbors crazy today.

Back
Top Bottom